Test Kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gina

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've just started a Nano tank (5 gal.) and I still need to get a test kit. What do you all recommend? I noticed the LFS uses the dip strip type but the ones I've seen use drops in a test tube. The strips seem so much easier. Thanks.

Welcome to AA Gina :D

If you haven’t read ”Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank” yet I’d recommend doing so. It has all the equipment listed that you will need and maintenance tips to help you enjoy your SW tank.

Most of the equipment listed is for slightly larger tanks and a 5 gal SW tank while isn’t impossible will be extremely difficult to maintain proper levels.

As far as test kits go the AP Saltwater Master Test Kit is great for the basic ph/nh3/no2/no3 and for everything like ca/kh/mg/ect.. I like Salifert.

Have you kept SW or FW fish before?

Hi tecwzrd and thanks for answering my post. Yes, about 18 years ago I had a 55 gallon SW FO tank. I've also kept FW fish but much prefer the challenge of SW. :D This was before LR and/or LS. In fact, I'd never heard of either til I started studying the boards. I had my 55 gallon for almost 3 years with no major problem but one morning I woke up and everything except my eel was dead. That was the end of it for me. I think the 5 gal although harder to keep will be a good intro tank as it's sitting right on my counter where I can't forget to check it. Can't miss it. LOL Also, I'm looking around my house trying to figure out where to put a BIG tank. My poor husband. :D :D
Thank you for the tip. I'm heading for "Stock list and tips etc." right now.

I like the salifert test. The strip test are not accurate at all. Definitely keep a close eye on a 5 gal tank.

Sorry to hear about your tank crashing :( Sometimes no matter how we monitor them they can do that.

I won’t hazard a guess at your age but I’m glad you joined.

We all are quite friendly on this board so please post any questions you might have as you dive in again :D

How big is your “big tank” and were you going to do SW with that tank as well?

Brenden, thanks for the input. The strips just looked too easy. :)

Tecwzrd, my "big" tank is long deceased. I kept an iguana and a box turtle in it. (not together) The box turtle, Tina, now has the run of the house and terrorizes my dogs and cat. The iguana escaped into the neighborhood where he terrorized the elderly. LOL
If I get another big tank, it will be at least a 35 gallon. I'd really love something much bigger but not sure where I'd put it. And yes, it would definitely be SW.
Oh, BTW, if your photo is any indication of your age, I'm much older. ROFL

:lol: That’s my little girl Autumn. I’m pushing 40 but still feel “young” thanks to her :p

809b27ba43ecc42012bf3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom