Test Kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hawksview

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just curious to see what test kits everyone prefers for testing alkalinity.I have tried fastest and salifert but it seems that the test results come out different between these two and im not sure where i should be at.I have a 55 gal reef and with fastest my alk tests out at around 3.75 meq/l.When i use salifert im at 4.57meq/l.Im not sure if i using the salifert kit the right way.There is a big air bubble in the syringe but it says it should be there.My ph is running about 8.2.Also could someone tell me the correct range for alkilinity in the tank?Thanks a lot

I just ordered my salifert tests today & never used them before but I have been told that salifert is the most reliable test around.

I use salifert, which I have tested with a standard and found it to be right on the money, when testing my FastTest kit, it did not do as well.

hawksview said:
I have a 55 gal reef and with fastest my alk tests out at around 3.75 meq/l.When i use salifert im at 4.57meq/l.Im not sure if i using the salifert kit the right way.There is a big air bubble in the syringe but it says it should be there.My ph is running about 8.2.Also could someone tell me the correct range for alkilinity in the tank?Thanks a lot

Where to maintain the alkalinity of the tank is a bit of a toss up. It really depends on what is in the tank. NSW is anywhere between 1.5-3 mEq/l. However many find that keeping the alk between 3-4 mEq/l is much more benificial to the overall health of the tank and less ceseptible (sp?) to swings in PH.

When maintaining alkalinity it is very important to balance the level against calcium. The two are very much linked together and control each other. If you have performed the Salifert test correctly and the alk is 4.57, I would allow that to drop a bit. Closer to 4 would be fine. The balanced amount of Ca would be slightly higher at about 425-440ppm.

Here is a great and easy to understand article...

BTW, I only use Salifert. I find it the most reliable and easy to use without setting up the chem lab.. :D

Cheers
Steve

I've used the Salifert and Seachem tests. I get different results also. I think the Seachem is easier to use. I just got the Salifert kit so I haven't had a chance to check them both with the reference sample. My alk runs 4.5-5.0 meq/l and my calcium is usually, if I haven't been slacking, 450-500 ppm (Red Sea Calcium Pro and Hagen kits).

My alk runs 4.5-5.0 meq/l and my calcium is usually, if I haven't been slacking, 450-500 ppm
This is my exact senario here also..

Back
Top Bottom