Test Result Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ndmartin0120

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am starting a salt FOWLR. The tank has been running for almost three weeks. It is a 36gal with 16# of live rock, I have four turbo snails and five crabs which have been in the tank for two weeks. Filtration is an aqua clear 300. My question is that my levels have been pretty decent through the whole cycle, I have never really seen a spike like I thought I would but now nitrates are averaging 20-40 ppm no nitrites and ammonia .25ppm to 0. I did a 10% water change last weekend and nitrates dropped to 5 and then crept back up. Is this normal for a new tank? I was wanted to start adding a couple fish this weekend if safe....any help would be appreciated.

Is this a dumb question....is my HOB filter causing the nitrates to be so high?

First, that level of nitrates is not bad for a FOWLR. 2nd, how are you maintaining the filter? Are you using it for just mechanical and chemical? You may have to cause you are a little under stocked with LR. Just keep doing your PWC's once a week and rinse out the sponge in old aquarium water (I think you need to keep the bacteria on the sponge going with the amount of LR you have) if, however you could boost LR in your tank,'then I would buy a second sponge and just replace it on a weekly basis to stop the bacteria from converting to nitrates, and just pretty much use it as a mechanical filter. Hope this helps.

Ok thanks for the help. I have the sponge and some BIOMAX in filter. I know im really low on the LR I plan on ordering some off of net cause my LFS is really high.I guess i'll just stick with what I have till then and maybe turn it into a refugium when I have more rock. Thanks again!!

Since you have no fish, how'bout some dry rock and let it cycle for a few weeks? Then you can just convert the filter to chemical and mechanical. I do it with my overflow sponge - just take it out every week and wash it in regular tap water and let it dry for next weeks replacement. Every year I buy two more sponges and start all over again, I never let any bacteria grow on it. Hope this helped and wanna see some pics. :)

Oh, forgot, when you do have at least 1lb per gallon and cycled,'loose the bio max and just run sponge, GAC and maybe some GFO for algae.

Ok thanks yea was thinking about ordering combo box of dry and live and adding it to tank but was still gonna cure the rock I order in an old 29gal I have

Back
Top Bottom