test results are in and...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevefromga2000

Aquarium Advice Freak
i just wanted to see what i can do to change some test levels in my tank. just ran a test and this is what i have

salinity - 1.021
pH - 8.2 to 8.4
ammonia - 0.50
nitrate - 80-160 (really high and i need some help here)
nitrate - 0

i just wanted to know what was better and what was worse and also any ideas to help fix anything that is wrong. i know my nitrates are really really high, but how do i go about lowering them?

Salinity: low side, I'd recommend running at 1.026 for most tanks. Change this slowly if you decide to.
pH: Good
Ammonia: Unless the tank is cycling there should be no detectable ammonia
Nitrate: Through the roof :) Would be "ok" for fish only tanks, but not much else.

Methods for nitrate reduction include water changes (dilution, as long as you're using pure water without nitrates), lighted refugium with macro-algaes such as caulpera and chaeto, deep sand beds, clams (they do reduce nitrates, but I wouldn't introduce them into an immature system), and sulfur denitrators.

What is in your tank right now?

right now i am working on getting some sand. i live in japan, so my resources are limited to me. most places won't ship here to me, so i have to take what i can find in the LFS here. because of where in japan i am located, there is only one LFS around, so you can only imagine what i don't get to choose from.

i do the water changes at least every other week, but i used to do them every week before i got my skimmer. i could go back.

also, i heard that there are parts in a canister filter that can create high nitrates? which parts? i currently have a canister filter, but i haven't opened it because i thought that there was beneficial bacteria inside it and i didn't want to get rid of that.

all i have is some live rock, some chromis, and a banded shrimp. i've been working with a small budget, so i can only get so much at a time. like i said, the sand is next on my list, it will be a total of 60lbs of the aragonite sand. i was told that when i switch my CC to the sand, then my critters will all move over, and plus it will help with nitrates, correct?

will a higher lighting source help any? is there any other equipment that will make a difference? what about more live rock (which i plan on already, just trying to make priorities)?

It sounds like you may have had a death or a mini cycle, due to the ammonia. I would work on getting that down immediately, otherwise you could have some deaths. I found the sponges and media (carbon packs) held a lot of nitrAtes. Did you do anything with the substrate, like shuffle it or stir it? I am just wondering where the ammonia came from.

How much LR do you have now? The ammonia problem is eventually turning into the nitrate problem. How often are you feeding? Need to feed every other day and PWC`s are needed right now to help lower the nitrates as Theatrus said. I dont have a canister but Roka64`s suggestions would be a good place to look also.

I would suggest doin PWCs every 2 or 3 days, maybe 10%, till trates are under control, then switch to a regular weekly PWC of 10-15%. Thye mentioned parts of a canniseter filter are often removed, let the live rock handle the biological filtration, the filter can do some mechanical. Are you cleaning out the cup in the skimmer? That may be acting like a nitrate factory. Obviously, your tank appears to be cycled, but if your trates get too high and for too long, you can and will kill most of the organisms on the live rock, and destroy any work done by cycling.

actually, i did just have a fish die. that may explain the ammonia, but now how do i get that lowered?

right now, i have about 25 to 30 lbs of LR, and i keep getting more. that's why i haven't got any more fish, not until i have at least 40 lbs.

i clean my skimmer out about once a week, that's what i've read i should do.

i will start doing PWC more often, and closely moniter my nitrates to see if they lower or not. i will also look through my canister and try to remove the sponges. also, would it be better off to just get a different filter all together? if so, is there a certain kind that i should look for, or could it be any kind of filter?

You can lower them via PWCs. As for removing the sponges, how many do you have? I had 4 in mine. I removed 2, waited a week and removed the other two. I would say, if the filter is working, then don't waste any money on a new one, especially if you have enough or will be adding LR for biofiltration, relatively soon.

okay, i did a PWC, and also i cleaned out my skimmer. i went to open up my canister filter, and stupid me, i had a bunch of water start to leak out. the problem is that the directions for the filter are completley in japanese. another thing, i have no previous experience with canister filters, so i need some help on what to do to clean it out. any suggestions at all would be useful, no matter how simple.

The way I clean mine is.
1. Dump out old water.
2. Clean intake/output/impeller (I use a new toothbrush to clean) in FW.
3. Rince the media in the old SW (so I don't kill the beneficial bacteria).
4. Reassemble, let it prime and let it roll.

How old is this tank? I presume you've got bare bottom for now too. My guesses are that 7 fish may be too much for now too in a 40g. Teeny chromis? If not too much now, you'll be limited on your population down the road. I'd suggest getting rid of 4 of'm. I'm thinking it's a combination of the 7 fish and those filters Roka is talking about.

the chromis aren't really big, but they aren't exactly tiny either. i plan on getting rid of most of them already like you said. i don't have a bare bottom, i have CC, but i plan on changing it out. i'll just have to disconnect everything on the filter and change it out this weekend. i'll test everything again, and let everybody here know. i'll write again tonight when i get home.

alright, i did the water change last night, and today i checked it when i got home from work. i tested the nitrates and the ammonia, and the results are as follows....

ammonia - .25
nitrates - 20ppm

i still haven't gotten into my filter to clean it up at all, but i still plan to when i get a chance. as long as i keep up with the PWC every couple days for a week or so, should i be in good shape? and about the ammonia, can i just get some chemicals to drop it down, or is there a different way to take care of that?

can i just get some chemicals to drop it down, or is there a different way to take care of that?

I'm not a fan of chemicals to adjust water... OK maybe a PH buffer once in a while.

80-160 on the 'trates down to 20 now, and half the ammonia you started with now @ .25, I'd say stick to your current plan and PWCs. Let's see what happens when you deal with the filter. When is the plan to remove the CC? Otherwise, I'd not do chemicals and would stay on your present course.

Are the inverts doing OK?

my snails are doing great, and pierre (my banded shrimp) seems to being doing good as well. my star has been acting funny lately, i'm not sure why. he has been moving around, just incredibly slow. and he hasn't been getting on the glass either. he's been acting like this for almost 2 weeks now. i actually thought that he might be dead, but then i saw him moving around. any thoughts about him?

Guess I'm wondering about those high readings if they lived thru (alleged :roll: ) 80-160 nitrates and .50 ammonia. Wondering if those first tests that alarmed us were true. Got snail,s a star, and shrimp lving thru that? Hmmm....

Steve, I would get the numbers down and then worry about changing the substrate. I would also suggest switching out the substrate a little at a time, anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 and wait a week, so the beneficial bacteria and critters that live there will have a chance to migrate.

that's what i had planned on doing for when i switched the substrate. i'm not sure why my readings were so high, but it had been a while since i had done a test, and also about 2 weeks since i did the water change, and i got worried. i will change the water again tomorrow, and hopefully it was just a spike that i just so happened to catch. i'll keep everybody posted.

Back
Top Bottom