Testing Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willy0508

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've had my tank up about 4 months, cycled and two happy clowns (in for about 1 month).
I just bought an API reef master test kit to go along with the Red Sea I got to start the tank.

Couple things, Is KH the same as Alkalinity I'm a little confused reading about each in different threads?

My tests read:
PH - 8.4
Ammonia - 0
Nitirtes - 0
Nitrates - 5
Spec grav - 1.025
Phosphates - 0
Calcium - 420
KH - dKH=11/ppm=196 (from the chart)
Temp 78.7

Does everything look good? I thought maybe PH and KH might be high but I'm new to the KH test.
(Want to practice before getting any corals, just softies to start)

Second, I wanted to move my rock around a bit as I'd like to make more room in the front
bottom and maybe make better placement for some coral in the future.
Can I move it carefully not stirring the sand and not hurt the fish if it gets a little cloudy or scare them too much?
Or should I move them to the QT until the move and any cloudiness goes away?
Scheduled H2O change this Friday, should I rearrange before the change?

Thanks in advance,
willy0508

If you're careful and slow, it should be ok. QT is better, but they can manage. I would do the rearranging before PWC. After you move rocks, bad stuff will release into the water and the PWC will help

Water parameters look great! And yes... KH and alkalinity are the same thing.

Just move the rocks around, the fish won't mind the sandstorm. They'll probably get a little spooked, but they'll get over it. I wouldn't mess with the QT, but do agree that you should do it before the water change.

I just added a bunch of new sand to my tank a few weekends ago and made a major sandstorm for several hours. Fishies didn't seem overly concerned.

Your tank is too new for bad things to be in the sand bed. Just rearrange as you see fit. My DSB in my tank has been there for 7 years. I recently had a PH point down at the sand and cause a major sand storm. It cleared in a matter of hours and no harm in the tank. I did have to use a turkey baster to blow sand off the rocks.

So thanks to everyone I change the rock around and didn't even make a big sand storm. My clowns are fine and even though this is my first tank I kie the rock better now. Here's a couple pics:

One of the clowns not being camera shy. :)

Can't wait for the new skimmer, old one broke. And then it's New lights!

Back
Top Bottom