Tetra marine salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brendan1495

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi set up my aquarium and all is well so far
I am going to buy some more salt in the next few days,
when I set up I used instant ocean but looking around
I see that Tetra marine salt is quite a bit cheaper as I
am on a budget I was thinking of giving this ago is it any
good or am I better off with the instant ocean.

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Brendan

Salt is a personal thing. Seeing as you are very new I see no harm in you trying any and all salts. In due time you will find the one that suits you best.

I didn't think that salt was available in the U.S. It's the European version of Instant Ocean and it's made by the same company (Spectrum Brands).

So Larry, you are saying that it does not matter on the change. Am I correct?

IMO, switching around between any salts is fine as long as it isn't a 100% water change. The parameters in all the salts are close enough so that doing a 10%, 20% or 30% water change won't really affect the water chemistry in the tank. If you have 100g at 400 ppm calcium, did a 20% water change with 500 ppm ca water, your tank will only go up to 420.

IMO, switching around between any salts is fine as long as it isn't a 100% water change. The parameters in all the salts are close enough so that doing a 10%, 20% or 30% water change won't really affect the water chemistry in the tank. If you have 100g at 400 ppm calcium, did a 20% water change with 500 ppm ca water, your tank will only go up to 420.

I think so too, I have never had a problem switching brands. To the OP, I think the Instant Ocean saltmix is close to as cheap as it gets, yet many people have success with it. I have never heard of the Tetra salt, I think Larry already explained why.

Ive been using reef crystals, but just recently got a bucket of brightwell aquatics salt ( they're both about the same price for a bucket in my area) so we'll see how it goes. Neomarine (BA salt) mixes nice.. but be warmed it has a exothermic reaction (produces major heat!!!) when mixed with water... just be careful, I about burned my hand because I wasnt expecting it lol. Havent used it long enough to see a major difference yet ( only one water change)

but be warmed it has a exothermic reaction (produces major heat!!!) when mixed with water... just be careful
Are you adding water to the salt...or salt to the water.
Hopefully the latter, but I'm thinking maybe not if you can detect heat.

Are you adding water to the salt...or salt to the water.
Hopefully the latter, but I'm thinking maybe not if you can detect heat.

I am adding the salt to a 30 gallon tub of ro/di. I just mixed the salt using my hand as I usually do ( need to get a powerhead for the mixing bucket) and accidently dumped some salt on my hand just under the water, it was enough to feel some major heat. I was quite surprized. Now that I know better, it seems to be a good salt so far ;)

I am adding the salt to a 30 gallon tub of ro/di. I just mixed the salt using my hand as I usually do ( need to get a powerhead for the mixing bucket) and accidently dumped some salt on my hand just under the water, it was enough to feel some major heat. I was quite surprized. Now that I know better, it seems to be a good salt so far ;)

Wow, I can't imagine you are mixing it 100% with just using your hand. With salt like this it should be mixed for 24-hours straight to properly mix and aerate.

The heat you felt was the calcium chloride (ice melt) that's blended in the salt mix dissolving. You would feel the same thing with any salt. When I make my DIY 2-part supplements, the calcium chloride mix gets so hot I think it's going to melt thru the plastic jug.

When I make my DIY 2-part supplements, the calcium chloride mix gets so hot I think it's going to melt thru the plastic jug.

So I'm not the only one then.

Fresh sw mix can be pretty caustic. There are alot of chemical reactions going on.

Yep, I agree you should wait at least 24 hours before using newly mixed salt. PH and salinity especially arn't stable right away. This is why Its recommended to if possible always have some water on hand already made incase of emergency.

I should have clarified in my earlier post - I usually do have a power head ( just need to get a new one, old (crappy) one broke) so I had to make due when I needed water change. The one I had before didnt mix well when putting salt in, hense why I used my hand to stir in the amount needed for the right salinity. I make the water sunday usually and use it wednesday, stirring occasionally, especially before I had to use it. Not ideal, but it works in a pinch. PH is ordered ;) ( better one this time!) - a good lesson to those reading - spend the few extra $$ and get good equipment... its cheaper in the long run!

But back to the topic, salt choice depends on preferance. If you find one you like, and everything seems happy, stick with it. You can change if you like, but most seem to stick with the same salt. I dont think theres one 'best' salt.. lots of different opinions on it. I know a lot of people go with thats available in their LFS.

Back
Top Bottom