Thats my luck!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

havefun

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've been anxiously awaiting the arrival of my RO unit so I can fill my 75g tank. I've been rushing home from work every day this week only to find that I have to wait yet another day to fill it. :cry:
The other thread in this forum about supporting the bottom of the tank got me thinking about mine. I noticed when I sat it on the (new) stand that there was no support along the whole back edge of the tank. Both the tank and stand are All-Glass so I fired off an email to them this morning. Long story short, I don't think I'm conveying what I think the problem is very well to them so I am going to take some pics tonight to send to them. I sure hope it is that way by design so I don't have to wait for another stand to come in!
Anyone else have an all-glass stand and know what I'm talking about???
Sorry, I just had to vent a little, I just can't wait to see some water in my tank (much less start the cycle, etc)!!!

No, it's made for a 75. The stand "looks" like it is supposed to support the bottom edge of the tank but there is a gap between the stand and tank - I guess I just can't describe it very well.

When you say "tank" do you mean the bottom paine of glass, or the plastic supporting strip? Because the bottom glass isn't supposed to touch anything... it'll be like a quarter or half inch away. The only part of the tank that should be touching any part of the base is the bottom 4 edges of the plastic rim (the part that's typically painted black, or wood grain colored). How big is the gap?

OK, I'll try to explain this........
I understand the glass isn't supposed to touch anything - and it doesn't. I'm talking about the plastic frame on the bottom of the tank (underneath the tank).
Now for the stand... There is a lip on the stand that supports the tank frame on both sides (as I would expect). Along the front edge there is one point of contact - something like a 1x4 framing member that runs from the front of the stand to the rear. It's in the center, right under the plastic support member on the tank frame. The problem is that this piece (the 1x4) is not level front to back, so that where I would "think" it is supposed to be supporting the tank frame at the back of the tank (the frame setting on top of it that is), there is about a 1/4' gap.
There is another place where something similar is happing but I'm not going to try to explain that as I have to get back to work.
I'll let you know what they say when I send the pics to all-glass -- I could be totally wrong (but I don't think so).

Yeah, I would definately send them pics... and post some here too. Sounds like it could be an issue with the base not being level, but you never know. Would like to help, but w/o pics... it's hard. ;)

Who put those shims in there??? Is this tank filled with water? 8O

Are you trying to lift the tank up so that the lip of the base isn't so high? Cuz that is a SERIOUS hazard. No tank, not even a 10 gallon, should be supported by shims. All 4 edges of the tank MUST be supported evenly or you risk critical levels of pressure that can cause the tank to crack.

If you could take some pics a bit further away so we can get some perspective, that may help. The biggest problem I see in those pics isn't the gaps... it's those pieces of wood (Shims) that are holding the tank up on the side and back. What would happen if you were to take the shims off?

Looking at it, I think it would rest on the rear sides and the center be "hanging in the air. If that is the case then I would NOT use that stand as it is,

Take the shims out, take some more pictures, close up and "whole tank" shots, and post them back here and send them to the manufacture also.

No, that shim isn't "doing" anything. I just placed it there so the gap would be clearly visable in the pic - it is not supporting the tank at all. "viewFromBackWithShim" is the same location as "backCenter" (which has the shim removed) if that makes it any clearer. And no, there is no water in the there, just the 160+ pounds of sand/rock.

I've sent the pics off to all-glass and will hopefully hear back from them today.

Here are some more pics. The bottom one is from inside the cabinet looking at the back-left corner. You can see that the tank is resting on the cabinet on the side but not at all in the back. The next is of the back-right and shows the same thing.
2cents has it correct, while the sides (and front) are supported, the back is just hanging there.
Still waiting to hear from all-glass. I'm going to the LFS tonight to pick up some more base rock and will tell them about this as well.

Dang it ... ignore the first one.

It's almost like there should be another plywood top to it that it's missing.

Actually the problem is the "bar" across the rear is not level with the front causing this problem.

Two choices I see if the manufacture won't help is:

1. plywood the whole top and shim under the plywood to make it level.

or

2. knock the center brace up (it's only being held with a couple of staples, most likely) and shim it up to level there.

or

3. get another stand.

Customer service emailed back today and this was their reply...

I am contacting the warranty department. Our wood shop manager says if your unhappy with it we should see about exchanging it. He also states that you should not have a problem, however it is your decision on whether or not you want to keep it. He does say it will be fine. I can get back to you on MOnday when I hear from the warranty department on this.

Um, yes, I want a new one!
I also went to the LFS who ordered it for me and the manager there is going to contact her sales rep to be sure I get a new one.

Once the new one comes in I am deffinately going to beef it up with some 2x4 framing and a piece of plywood on top. I plan to put supports at the corners but do you think I need them in the middle as well? Right now if you open the doors in front, it's nice because there is no verticle support in the way so there is a nice wide opening - but if you think I would be wise to put one there I will.

Oh, and BTW my RO unit came today, too bad I can't use it now until I get the new cabinet :x

Right now if you open the doors in front, it's nice because there is no verticle support in the way so there is a nice wide opening - but if you think I would be wise to put one there I will.

Should be fine. The whole front is resting on the stand right? If so then you should be ok there.

Back
Top Bottom