The 120 FOWLR (corals later) build...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdergar

Aquarium Advice Freak
I thought I would start posting pics of the 120 SW FOWLR build. My Tank just arrived this past weekend. I completed the plumbing yesterday morning and late today I have filled it with water for the initial leak check and equipment run.

The equipment is:

Tank - 120g 60" x 18" x 26" with two back corner overflows
Lights - AquaticLife 4 HO Lamp with moonlights
Skimmer - Reef Octopus in sump
Pump - 1800gph (I forget the model) but it only runs at about 1100GPH because of height (I think)
Sump - Modified old 30gal aquarium with refugium compartment

I think that's it. Anyway here are the pics. Cabinet to be built soon...Live rock and sand base this weekend...

Steve

I'm having fluctuations in the level behind the overflow covers as I mentioned in another post. Here are the pics. This change in level happens about every 30 - 40 secs.

Looks good, but I can make a few suggestions.
1- The skimmer is too deep. Build a stand (egg crate works great) to get it higher up out of the water. The outlet should not be underwater. The skimmer will run best in about 7" of water.
2- It looks like you have clear tubing dumping water into the skimmer section. Lower that line so it's underwater. It will keep it more quiet and you won't have as much salt creep from the water splashing.
3- You need to drill a hole on the top of the durso to let air into the drain. What's happening is there is not enough air to let the water free flow and it builds up pressure then drains. That's the fluctuation you are seeing.

Hi Larry. That's great. Thanks for the tips. I've just drained the tank to give it a wipe down and fix a couple of things including a very small leak that will just need a couple of turns on a coupling. I'll go and pick up some egg crate this morning. As for the clear tubing you probably can't see from the picture but I've built a small chamber in the sump that the clear tube sits in and it dumps water into this overflow chamber and up through the top. So the tube empties in the bottom and it overflows into the skimmer section. I got that idea, in fact the whole idea of my sump from melevsreef.com. I think it was version J that I copied. He was a great resource. I will drill a bigger hole in the top where the short tube is coming out now. How big do you think I need to go? Durso is the drain tube yes? Thanks so much...

Steve

The durso is the drain in the overflow. Mine came with a small (maybe 2" long) piece of hard airline tubing already there. I would guess the hole is no more than 1/4". The hard airline fits tight and doesn't go far down, maybe 1/8"-1/4". Just enough to let air in and not be underwater.

durso.jpg

So just to make sure before I start drilling you think I should make that hole for the tube bigger right? It's 1/8" now I think I'll try 1/4" first. How's that sound? Thanks again for helping me out.

Steve

Where is the hole drilled? Is it at the top like mine? If you have a piece of airline, soft or hard, make the hole big enough so that slides in.

yup, exactly like yours. The rigid airline sticks out of that hole. Really it looks the same as your. In addition there are two holes one on each side of the elbow. Those stay under the water level unless I turn the pump off. I guess to break the siphon action.

Make sure that airline doesn't go down too deep. If it's underwater it's not working as it should. Pull it out and just stick it in far enough that it won't fall out. You only need it in about the thickness of the pvc.

Is that a Marineland Perfecto tank? The CornerFlo and plumbing looks exactly like mine. It's a real nice setup.

Okay, I'll pull it out a bit and see what happens. Yes it is. I'm very happy with the tank and how everything went together. I'm thinking that even if it does fluctuate a bit it won't be an issue. The tank level and sump level are staying consistent. Thanks Larry.

Steve

Larry, after the initial fill and dump I pulled up the air tubing as you mentioned and now that the tank is up and running your tip did the trick. No fluctuations. Thanks so much...

Steve

It continues...

Well, I thought I would take some more pics and post more of how the build is coming along. Currently the cycle is moving along, although I think I mostly ended up with cured rock and even with the 3 raw shrimp I only got a mild spike of ammonia. I'll keep testing for another week and see where it goes.

I've purchased two clownfish and they are in a QT for another three weeks. They are eating well, and show no signs of any illness. Still not sure how often to feed them. I've read everything from twice daily to once every two days. Hmmmm...

Also just finished a gravity fed top off system. I bought a float valve and with a collapsable camping water container, some tubing and a reducer I feed the return section of the sump. Level has been steady for two days now.

Also picked up a RO/DI 4 stage from Aqua FX. Nice unit. I'm glad I got the larger capacity per day as I was looking at a 35gpd model. I ended up with a 100gpd and filling containers doesn't take too long.

I've also discovered some new creatures in the DT. Are these good or bad? Is that "feather duster" like creature aiptasia? Do I need to get rid of it? And since the lights have been off during the cycle I didn't notice the web cover critter. What is it?

Anyway, here are the pics...

Attachments

• aquarium-7.jpg
    aquarium-7.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 87
  • aquarium-6.jpg
    aquarium-6.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 113
  • aquarium-8.jpg
    aquarium-8.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 88
The rest of the pics

Here are the rest of the pics of the hitchhikers...

Attachments

• aquarium-1.jpg
    aquarium-1.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 154
  • aquarium-2.jpg
    aquarium-2.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 149
  • aquarium-3.jpg
    aquarium-3.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 86
  • aquarium-4.jpg
    aquarium-4.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 102
Top Left - brissle worms, good to have
top right- aiptasia, bad
- little red guys are small feather dusters and are ok to leave in the tank
bottom left - aiptasia, bad
bottom right- not sure, most of the time when you see a web like that it is a type of worm (forgot the name) and they are a helpful part of the CUC.

Back
Top Bottom