The best test kit????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gump3842k

Aquarium Advice Activist
Whats the best test kit to get to test ALK and CA?Also whats the best way to raise my ph from 8.1 to 8.3 thanks guys your the best..I seriously couldnt do it without ya :wink:

I've found Seachem's multitest kit for marine ph& alkalinity...and Seachem reef status calcium test kit work very well for me. The calcium kit especially, very presice.

Oh yeah, Seachem Reef Buffer raises ph to 8.3 just dont over dose it.

HTH,
Rich

I've used the Seachem pH and ALK kit and it is good. Right now I use the Salifert ALK kit and the Salifert Ca kit. The calcium kit is very easy to use and read and seems accurate, also a good price.
Unless you are testing for alkalinity, I wouldn't use a buffer to raise the pH. A pH of 8.1 isn't too low, when are you testing in your lighting cycle? pH will be lowest before your lights come on and highest right before your lights go out. Another thing to consider with low pH is gas exchange. If your tank is covered and there is little surface agitation then CO2 can build up in your tank and drive the pH down. Also, if the tank is in a room that gets little fresh air CO2 can also be the problem. To test this, measure the pH of the tank and take a sample out of the tank and put it somewhere where it will come into contact with fresh air, like near a window. Test the pH of the sample an hour or so later and if it rises substantially then you've got a CO2 problem. Aiming a powerhead at the surface, running a skimmer or even leaving a window open nearby can often help.

Salifert and seachem. Actually the seachem test kits are better but salifert is more popular.The difference is very slim and they both do an excellent job.

Back
Top Bottom