The LR i got

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WarOrks15

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I got my 36 lbs of LR today for my 46 reef tank. And I am putting it in there and one rock moves up and down. I look closer and there is a crack in the rock but I do not think it was just a rock. I think I have a clam. Now this rock is uncured LR. Is there anything special I have to keep him a live? I do not have my lighting yet. I hope to get that in the next 2 weeks or so. Or will he be fine until the live rock is cured. And will my lighting be good enough to let him grow? I am thinking about 2 pc 96-watt bulbs. One 10000k and an actinic. The tank is 36" long and 20" deep.

If the LR is uncured the die off will make amonia and kill the clam, also clams require a lot of light, the lights you are goning to get might work, but assuiming you have less light thaan what you are going to get the clam might not survive to see the light, i owuld suggest you take the clam to a friends tank that is well establighed or to your
lfs for storage for a coupekweeks or so until u get your lgihts, just a thought. I would do these kind of things because clams are really nice and expensive, if you got it as a hitchhiker, u wouldnt want to lose it, get some other people opinions before you use mine as a refference, as they know more han i do, im still a newb. good luck, keep us posted.

well i cant really take it to a friends because i have no friends that are fish geeks. but also when i was looking at what i think might be a clam a tille closer i could not see any thing inside of it. it might just be a shell that got attached to the peace of live rock but i really do not know. and will the amonia kill the corals that i got on the live rock? i think that i have some already growing on the rock but i really do not know because i am still a newb. if i can find a digital cameria i will try to get some pic and post them and you all can help me figer out what is all growing on it. thanks you your help Platinum

The 36 lbs of uncured lr will produce a lot of amonia, most likely klling everything including corals in the tank, corals are very sensitive to water conditions, but with the uncured LR you will be able to start your cycle w/o fish. Try to get a hold of a digital camera and take some pics and let us tell you what kind of "clam" you got. HTH

Was this FL aquacultured rock?

I had a bunch of clams that came in one batch of mine. I think they are referred to as Turkey wings? I had a couple day and really foul up my water but I had about 6 live and they are still doing fine. I have a 4x55 PC light on my 75 so I don't think these type of clams need a ton of light.

Mine were so encrusted with plants and coralline algae that I thought they were rock ...

well all i know about where the LR came from is that it is the south pacific. it came from live aquaria.com and u say that the corals will die if i do not do water changes? how much should i do and how offten?

elisz- my clam i tought was a rockk to untill it moved in my hand.

If you read the curing live rock article in the articles section, it talks about doing water changes to help preserve some of the life on the rock. If you actually got some corals and clam(s), then you would want to watch your ammonia levels more closely.

Did you have the rock shipped overnight or 2 day? The ammonia spike will probably be less with the overnight shipping but since it is from etropicals, it was out of the water more than a day any way.

Just watch your levels :)

Back
Top Bottom