The new guy w/ some questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefRoozter

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First of all...Hey Everybody!

I recently set up a new s/w tank, and was hoping to get a few pointers. To begin, I'll list my setup:

- 55 gallon tank
- 330 gph Wet/Dry filter
- 75 lbs. Fiji LR
- 1.5" of Arag. Gravel
- Seaclone 100 Protein Skimmer
- 50 gph rotating powerhead
- 4 110 w VHO's (440w total)

Ok, now the questions.
1. Any suggestions for spread of coralline algae?
2. Is there a safe way to add Kalk w/o a sump?
3. How hard is it to switch to a sump, and is it worth it?

That's all for now, but I'm sure I'll think of something else soon.

Thanks in Advance :lol: ,

Roozter

ReefRoozter said:
First of all...Hey Everybody!

I recently set up a new s/w tank, and was hoping to get a few pointers. To begin, I'll list my setup:

- 55 gallon tank
- 330 gph Wet/Dry filter
- 75 lbs. Fiji LR
- 1.5" of Arag. Gravel
- Seaclone 100 Protein Skimmer
- 50 gph rotating powerhead
- 4 110 w VHO's (440w total)

A few comments about your set up...
From the following questions, I will assume the 330 gph wet/dry is actually a penguin 330 biowheel, use it for water movement only, take all the media and the biowheels out. You can use the carbon pads every now and again to polish the water of yellowing agents, only new ones and only a few days per month. This thread here, may explain why I'm saying these things.

Would probably increase the sand bed to 4" using sugar grain sized sand. See this article for details.

The rotating powewrhead is more than likely a zoomed powersweep, hope you have more luck with them than most :D They tend to stop rotating rather quickly.

Ok, now the questions.
1. Any suggestions for spread of coralline algae?

Maintain CA above 400 mg/l with ALK in balance with the CA, ie CA is 400 ALK is 2.0 meq/L...CA is 450, Alk is 2.5 meq/L. If there is coraline in the system it will grow and spread.

2. Is there a safe way to add Kalk w/o a sump?

Add to a high flow area of the tank, like right in front of the power head, or in front of the 330. Make sure your dripping the Kalk.

3. How hard is it to switch to a sump, and is it worth it?

No it's not very hard, and yes it is worthwhile. Look here for more info on sumps.

Back
Top Bottom