The Price Of Salt ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I am still considering eventually getting a 10 gal s/w this will only prob house inverts or one small fish any way.
The only main thing now putting me off is the price of salt.
How much salt would I use with in 3 months in a tank this size including the original salt for when the tank is first set-up ?

Thank You.

Just buy saltwater at the LFS. Most sell premixed water for $1/Gal. Petco sells Catlina water for 5G for $10. You need RO/DI water if you mix your own salt anyway. Make life easy.

I know it can be pourchased thats what I mean but how much would I need for the first 3 monthes, i am just trying to calculate the cost lol.

Your goal would be to change 20% of the water ever 2 weeks. So every 2 weeks you'll buy 2 gallons of water. So in 3 months you'll need about 12g of water.

Additionally you'll need the 10 to fill in so that would bring you up to 22. And if you have any problems with the water you could be in for another 20-30g depending on the problem. You should plan on about 50g of water to be on the safe side.

I make water 30g at a time! I change close to 30 out of my 120, about 20 out of the 65 (with close to 80g of water) and about 30 in the 150g stock tank and I do that every 2 weeks.

Hope that helps.

Well you can either buy pre-mixed saltwater at a LFS for 1.00/g or you can buy RO/DI usually .50/g from the LFS and also buy salt and mix them yourself or you can buy a RO/DI and make your own water and then mix the saltwater yourself.

When I mentioned "buying water" I was referring to saltwater. If I was using 1g/wk I would probably buy it at the LFS in a 5g jug for the 5$ and be good for a month or so.

However you do it you'll NEED roughly 22g of water and should plan for 50g.

Back
Top Bottom