The War against Cyano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cd5

Aquarium Advice Activist
At a lfs, the owner told me that bumblebee snails will eat red slime cyano, is there any validity, I have the circulation, I use RO/DI water, my nitrates are around 5ppm(trying to zero them out), my next level of thinking is finding something that may eat it or maybe trying one of those phosphate sponges products since I don't test for phosphates,
thanks for in advance

Your next step should be actually testing for PO4. Test both your tank water and source water (Ro/DI). Nitrates at 5 are most likely not the problem. I do not know if the bumblebee snails will eat teh cyno. I have not heard of that before. To get rid of the cyno you have now you can use a product called Chemi Clean by Boyd Enterprises, INC. It worked great for me. Remember that it is not a cure, you still need to find and eliminate the source. It is most likely PO4. Good luck in the battle...Lando

are you skimming?
I always ask this, because I used a terrible skimmer, and had terrible cyano. I switched to a better skimmer, and within a week my cyano was gone. No other changes to my tank setup.
PO4 went from .07ppm to undetectable too.

I've got bumblebee's and they haven't helped my cyano :cry:. I'm in the same boat as you, I do not want to take the Chemi-Clean route but it's been 3 weeks and I am losing my patience.

Chemi-Clean sure worked wonders for me. It cleared my cyno up in less then 48 hours. I just replaced three filters and my DI membrane and now all os well. Like I mentioned previously, finding the root of the problem is imparative, however, using the Chemi-clean sure helped me get a jump start on the problem.

www.garf.org get reef janitors, i gave up on cyano and tried these, mexican hermit crabs and snails, they actually work. they eat the stuff like candy, its great plus they are cool to watch.

Depending on how bad your Cyano problem is Chemi Clean might not work. I have put that stuff in my tank and it did'nt do a thing.

Thanks for all the advice, I think I will probably go with the good skimmer, I hear good things about the Remora and the BakPak, I do have a wood bubble skimmer, but I am told they are not as good, maybe that will combat the problem, and will look into a phosphate test

Adding a better skimmer did the trick for me. I had a prizm skimmer and went with a remora, and now I have no problem at all. I also used chem clear with no luck. It helped but not even close to having a big impact.

Chemi-clean is a shortcut - it attacks the bacteria and may also kill beneficial bacteria in your tank. Look to the root cause...

If you have a junk skimmer, upgrade it.

If its a new tank - be patient, it will pass.

If its an established tank - consider cutting back on your feedings and/or changing your light cycle. cyano needs 2 things to grow, food and light. An excess of either of these will make your job more difficult.

Back
Top Bottom