Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2020, 05:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thinking About a Clowfish Tank

I've been thinking about getting my feet wet with clownfish for over a year. I've got plenty of experience with freshwater tanks. I probably won't actually do anything about getting a saltwater tank for a few more years. It wouldn't be anything big, just a 20g or so. It'd only have clownfish, marine fish get pretty big, and most of them are wild caught. If I do get clownfish, I'd convert one of the tanks I've already got. How do marine tanks differ from freshwater? Do clownfish need need sand, or would they be okay with gravel? What about filtration? The best filters on my tanks so far are canister filters. I don't want to deal with a sump, none of my current tanks are drilled, and I'd have no clue how to maintain it.

Old 09-26-2020, 05:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Youíll need marine sand not fw sand and live rock which acts as your main filtration for sw. on a 20g fish only system with 2 clownfish you could just run some carbon or Purigen in a hob filter. Youíd also need a power head for flow in the tank.

bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'd guessed that I'd need live sand, but wasn't sure if I could use gravel for a pair of clownfish or not. The 20g that I'd convert currently has a 107 with a spray bar hooked up to it. I've already got a powerhead, but it's very powerful. Sand is a pain to get out of filters, depending on how fine it is. Even with a sponge filter to keep it out, they still need to be cleaned very frequently. Even if a sponge filter is on the intake very fine sand can still get into the filter. Would black sand work? Or would they be more comfortable with white?
Old 09-28-2020, 10:36 AM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Gravel is a no no in saltwater. Saltwater breaks down things really well, and with all the wonderfully colored rocks and decorations just don't belong in these tanks. The salt breaks down the paint and releases the toxins into the water column.

The color of the sand doesn't matter. I have black volcanic in my current reef. There is also pink.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, fish tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com