Thinking about doing a 40B sump-less...thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foofoodar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all, I have a small freshwater tank, but have always been more interested in the saltwater side of things, I have found that there are about a million different ways to run a successful saltwater setup.

I am starting slow, and am going to buy what I need overtime and once I have everything I need I will take the plunge.
Right now I have 4 books on order I am going to read before I get anything, since all the web information is overwhelming, the filtration debate seems to have more opinions than there are species of fish...

I was debating between a 40B Fowlr and a 75 flowlr to start, with the 75 I would probably have to have a sump, but the 40B seems to be a good starting point and you can go either way on the sump that way if I decide I want to upgrade in the future I can and move everything to a larger setup.

Stocking list so far is nothing fancy, a cleanup crew, pair of clowns, goby (not sure which one), blenny (not sure which one), would love a yellow tang but don't want that large of a tank yet...

I was thinking about running an Aquaclear 110, just not sure what else I need from that point on, is that kind of filter enough water movement for saltwater? I assume with that filter I would still need one or 2 power heads, heater, along with the appropriate amount of live rock and live sand...

The only tempting thought to jump strait the 75 is that I can find 75's all over craigslist for cheap, like $100.00 with the stand...

Thanks for the help!

If you keep looking on craigslist you may find a 75g with a sump already. :) Patience is key to getting a good deal. lol
But yeah, a 40b is a nice tank, I have one and its super easy.

Yeah so far everything on craigslist is people trying to sell their entire system, which I don't have the money for, or people trying to sell tanks that look like they are 50 years old or have been trashed...

The local Marine store has a 75G, not drilled, with a stand for $90.00 used that is not in bad condition, I just can't decide if I want to start that large, the 40B looks like a great starter size, and will keep initial costs down, the downside to that is if I decide to upgrade fast, well then I just wasted more money...

Decisions Decisions...

The larger the tank the easier it is to keep water stable. 90.00 for a 75gallon is a steal. I would jump on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just keep looking. :) I know it sucks, but thats the best way to get the best deal. I got a 180g with 300+ lbs of live rock and all the equipment for $500. Its a beautiful tank and the stand and canopy are awesome.....I just had to wait a few months to find the deal.

Back
Top Bottom