Thinking About Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xsryman

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have been fish keeping to the past two years. I had a 10gal, 55gal, and am almost done cycling a new 20gal. All fresh water, fully planted. I would like to do a salt water set up but i dont know the first thing about where to start. I have been reading different threads but i don't have a clue and get lost with some of the terminology. I am the type of person that I don't do well with trial and error. I want to know what i am doing, or at least have a pretty good idea before i get in to somthing. Petsmart has a great 36gal bowfront starter kit for $99 right now. would that make a good salty tank or does it require one of those $169 6gallon cube deals. I like the idea of a nano tank but not for $200.
Maybe saltwater is over my head and should just stick to my plants.

I originally started with fw planted tanks and sw is honestly not any harder than planted tanks. You can use any tank you choose an all in one isn't necessary. The main differences are types of filtration and the amount of flow in tank. Skimmers and LR are the best forms of filtration in sw. It is a rewarding hobby that if you want to try I say do it

I originally started with fw planted tanks and sw is honestly not any harder than planted tanks. You can use any tank you choose an all in one isn't necessary. The main differences are types of filtration and the amount of flow in tank. Skimmers and LR are the best forms of filtration in sw. It is a rewarding hobby that if you want to try I say do it

well what is every one talking about then with kPH and ro/di and stuff like that. Can I pretty much use my tap water and just salt it?

IMO you should use ro or rodi water. Tap has too many impurities in it. I work for a large water municipality on the east coast.

well what is every one talking about then with kPH and ro/di and stuff like that. Can I pretty much use my tap water and just salt it?

Ph is the the acidity of the water dkh is alkalinity which is one of the params we test for in reef tanks. Ro/di is a water purification method reverse osmosis de-ionized water or water with 0tds (total dissolved solids). Tap water will lead to bad algae problems in sw or depending on what's in it can even kill sensitive inverts
Edit : you also need marine salt not aquarium salt

Back
Top Bottom