Thinking about starting a reef tank again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can. It might be best to make up the ro/di water and simply mix everything in the tank once it all gets set up. Make sure not to fill the tank up full since adding the sand and rock to the system will cause displacement.

Ok thanks for the reply. I will be adding my live rock and sand before I put in the water.

So it's ok just to add ro/di water to the tank with live rock and sand then add salt while cycling?

So I was at my lfs today and was talking to the guy that worked there about cycling my tank. He said there is now a product called colony by ATM which u can use to cycle my tank. Is this stuff good or am I better just doing it what he called the old fashioned way. I have no problem with cycling with my LR and shrimp for 4-8 weeks but obviously if this method is effective I would consider it.

Any thoughts?

Never heard of the stuff. I'm assuming it is Bactria in a bottle. It can be hit or miss. Some live by it. I think it can be effective, but if it sits on a shelf for too long will be nothing in a bottle. Better off doing it the old fashioned way imo.

Never heard of the stuff. I'm assuming it is Bactria in a bottle. It can be hit or miss. Some live by it. I think it can be effective, but if it sits on a shelf for too long will be nothing in a bottle. Better off doing it the old fashioned way imo.

Yeah I thought as much. I'll stick with the proved method.

Thanks [emoji106]

never seen those lights before with the star light design , can't wait to see them lite over your tank .

Colony is the bacterial additive from the hit show "tanked", from everything I've read it worked or it didn't... take it as you will.. one less variable in a sea of variables?? I too am eagerly awaiting some build pics!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Colony is the bacterial additive from the hit show "tanked", from everything I've read it worked or it didn't... take it as you will.. one less variable in a sea of variables?? I too am eagerly awaiting some build pics!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah I'll just stick with the old fashioned way. Yeah I'll get them up soon hopefully!

So I'm just waiting on my tank now to get started.

I'm looking at ATO's does anyone recommend a specific one?

Also is it worth getting a reactor for phosphate? The guy at my lfs said I would need one but I would have thought to set up and only get one if I had problems with phosphate readings?

I really like my JBJ ATO. I have it tied together with a tom's aqualifter pump.
As for a phosphate, just wait and see. You don't know you'll have an issue with phosphate yet.

I really like my JBJ ATO. I have it tied together with a tom's aqualifter pump.
As for a phosphate, just wait and see. You don't know you'll have an issue with phosphate yet.

Thanks for all your help so far hank it's really appreciated

Quick question. I have set up my ro unit and the tds reading is sitting at 3ppm on my outlet. Will this be fine to use initially? I am going to order a di unit to try and bring it down to 0ppm but was going to start putting water into containers now if the 3ppm will be ok?

I like these two the most .

attachment.php

attachment.php

the first one would be my fist choice , yes a reactor can be a very efficient way to keep things balanced.

Back
Top Bottom