Thinking of getting a tropical saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquarium_kid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi can anyone tell me how much saltwater tropical fish cost (the cost range). What fish should i get and how big should the tank be.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Costs of marine fish greatly vary depending on what you're looking at. Some species of Damsel and Chromis are only a few dollars a piece, where as large angel fish and some tangs are several hundred dollars a piece. I would say take a look online and find fish that are appealing to you, and then decide from there. Research their care and space needs as well. I know someone that did research for 5 years before getting a salt tank and he's still learning. Remember as well that depending on your fish and tank size, corals, and everything else, this can be a very expensive hobby. Just food for thought.

Really on point information there. Saltwater, though quite similar, can be quite different from freshwater tanks due to many of our fish being open water or even tidal surge swimmers...and that is just for starters.
If you are interested in the hobby, I would recommend checking out liveaquaria.com and look around at the different fish normally available. They have on point recommendations for livestock and the tank sizes needed to keep them.
With that said, bigger is always better when it comes to the size of a tank.

Hi can anyone tell me how much saltwater tropical fish cost (the cost range). What fish should i get and how big should the tank be.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

40 breeder would be a nice size tank to start with
depending on what you get for equipment new or used , cost of supplies ect ,rock/sub-straight , good light and last but not least fish
set a budget you want to invest than shop around see if you can start up on that budget.
saltwater set ups are costly at startup but worth the reward(y) sometimes you can get good deals if you shop smart
Save
Save

Last edited:
Another thing worth mentioning is if you have a petco nearby, they do a dollar a gallon sale around Black Friday, any tank from 10 to 55 gallons is 1$ per gallon! I grabbed my 20 high during that sale

Back
Top Bottom