Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thinking of getting a tropical saltwater tank

Hi can anyone tell me how much saltwater tropical fish cost (the cost range). What fish should i get and how big should the tank be.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 11-11-2016, 02:22 PM   #2

Costs of marine fish greatly vary depending on what you're looking at. Some species of Damsel and Chromis are only a few dollars a piece, where as large angel fish and some tangs are several hundred dollars a piece. I would say take a look online and find fish that are appealing to you, and then decide from there. Research their care and space needs as well. I know someone that did research for 5 years before getting a salt tank and he's still learning. Remember as well that depending on your fish and tank size, corals, and everything else, this can be a very expensive hobby. Just food for thought.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:25 PM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Really on point information there. Saltwater, though quite similar, can be quite different from freshwater tanks due to many of our fish being open water or even tidal surge swimmers...and that is just for starters.
If you are interested in the hobby, I would recommend checking out liveaquaria.com and look around at the different fish normally available. They have on point recommendations for livestock and the tank sizes needed to keep them.
With that said, bigger is always better when it comes to the size of a tank.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:24 PM   #4
Macro Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarium_kid View Post
Hi can anyone tell me how much saltwater tropical fish cost (the cost range). What fish should i get and how big should the tank be.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
40 breeder would be a nice size tank to start with
depending on what you get for equipment new or used , cost of supplies ect ,rock/sub-straight , good light and last but not least fish
set a budget you want to invest than shop around see if you can start up on that budget.
saltwater set ups are costly at startup but worth the reward sometimes you can get good deals if you shop smart
Save
Save
Old 11-12-2016, 06:19 AM   #5

Another thing worth mentioning is if you have a petco nearby, they do a dollar a gallon sale around Black Friday, any tank from 10 to 55 gallons is 1$ per gallon! I grabbed my 20 high during that sale

Tags
ate, pic, salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan, tank, tropical, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com