Thinking of starting a reef tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shane87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been toying with the idea of a reef tank for quite a while but always talked myself out of it, I am thinking of taking the plunge into salt water aquaria next year sometime and just want to know what essential equipment I need ( apart from the tank obviously lol) I have a lot of experience with freshwater tropicals but any help on reef tanks will be appreciated :)

So much different equipment thats optional it all depends on what you want to do. Basic would be tank, lights, sump, skimmer, powerheads, return pump, overflow box unless you get a drilled tank, heater...

Thanks for the replies, does the water need to be RO? And yea I know about the live rock and coral sand. I am reading a book on it ATM but it says about fluidized sand beds and power heads and loads of stuff about lighting and stuff. Basically I need to know all the essential hardware for a beginner/moderate reef tank + essential test kits ect like salt lever checker and that kinda stuff. Is it really that much harder than fresh water?

Thanks for the replies, does the water need to be RO? And yea I know about the live rock and coral sand. I am reading a book on it ATM but it says about fluidized sand beds and power heads and loads of stuff about lighting and stuff. Basically I need to know all the essential hardware for a beginner/moderate reef tank + essential test kits ect like salt lever checker and that kinda stuff. Is it really that much harder than fresh water?
RO water is really the way to go it elimianates alot of the contaminates that are in the public water. you need a hydrometer to check the salinity, ph,nitrite, nitrate and ammonia test kits to start

Ok thanks, what about the fluidized sand filter and having power heads on a timer, is all that stuff essential as well!?

well the only time the powerheads should be off is when your feeding. The sump with filter pad and bioballs or rock should be your filter along with a protein skimmer and live rock in the tank

As mentioned there are a lot of different factors to consider. Although sumps are great, they are not necessary. What size tank were you planning? Did you only want fish and live rock? or were you planning to get corals. If you want corals plan to spend twice as much.

I have been toying with the idea of a reef tank for quite a while but always talked myself out of it, I am thinking of taking the plunge into salt water aquaria next year sometime and just want to know what essential equipment I need ( apart from the tank obviously lol) I have a lot of experience with freshwater tropicals but any help on reef tanks will be appreciated :)

Imo sump for filtration in the sump youd add chaeto to keep nitrates down insump skimmer return pump in tank you need powerheads 30-50x tank volume turnover rate basics tests such as ammonia nitrite nitrate ph calcium alkalinity magnesium using a quality saltmix will help maintain essential elements and keep chemical additives at a minimal plan on weekly 10% waterchanges use ro/di water to insure your not adding nutrients of any sort to the tank general rule of thumb is 1-1 1/2 lbs of liverock for biological filter

Fluidized sand bed filters IMO are not great for SW. The potential for the bacteria to start dying off during a power outage or such would do more bad than the good is does running. You will get your beneficial bacteria from the live rock anyways. Also spend the extra dollars and skip a hydrometer and get a refractometer. You can get a decent one for $40-$60 bucks and with all the money invested a a marine tank why not a couple extra bucks for the right equipment lol!

Back
Top Bottom