Thinking of starting my first saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddot82

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm completely new to salt water so any advice is good advice and is much appreciated. Right now I have a 90 gal freshwater and an empty 40 gallon bowfront. I've been tossing around the idea of using the 40 to start a saltwater tank then maybe the 90 too down the road. My only experiences have been with freshwater so far. So I know NOTHING about saltwater. Looking for any advice on equipment, stocking options, general cost of starting one up and maintaining it, links, books, and everything in between. Yes I will be browsing thru this site on my own as well but I figured it wouldn't hurt to start a thread as well. Thanks in advance!

First, do you know what you want to end up with, fish only, full reef, or somewhere in between. When I started with salt water, I got some books, which helped, but the best info I found came from a friend who had been keeping them for years. More research and learning now can and likely will save you plenty in the future

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm not sure, I went through several. One I do remember was the complete book of marine aquariums. Had lots of useful info, some of which is likely been updated by now. I did notice on Amazon that buying them based solely on reviews really made picking easier. What part of the planet are located in if I can ask?

Maybe see if there is a reefers group in your area also. This forum has some really good people on it, with amazing systems, you're heading the right way already

Any time, need anything answered, this is the place to be lol

Scour the 'net.... read, read, read until your eyes bleed, then read some more. After you think you know everything, you'll set up your tank, then realize you really know next to nothing.... you'll make just about every mistake in the book, some very expensive, but if you want to succeed, you'll keep trying until you get it right. See my signature.......

Research is going to be your best friend are you gonna run a sump best advice don't skimp on a skimmer and of your going reef don't skimp on lighting you will say you want to start out with soft corals but you will always end up wanting something else harder then you end up like me again and end up wanting sof corals again haha

I've been doing research every day for about the past three years, and I'm just setting up my first salt water tank now!

I would recommend holding off on setting anything up now and researching until you KNOW that you know everything there is to know about the type of setup you want. Doing that much research will help eliminate any confusion and give you peace of mind that you're doing everything right.

Good luck!!

Just saw this thread I am starting my first salty as well, best thing to dk is read read read, I get bouts of insomnia so used those to read a lot also pick the brains of lfs ppl if they have the time. Be patient salt is a lot more then fresh to start up as well so to make it easier piece it out while your reading up.

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Welcome to the saltwater world! It is too easy! Do you research before buying items you don't need!!!$$$$$ I have a 90G mixed reef....NO SUMP!!!

My setup
Marineland (1) 350 filter $24.99 on sale at Petsmart
Marineland (2) H.O.T filter $75.00 used filled with crushed coral!
AquaC Remora Skimmer (1)$250.00 with drain tube
Green Machine UV Sterilizer (1) $80.00
Aqueon Heater 250w power head (3) $150.00
Odyssea T5 48" light/w timer $130.00
add sand and good base rock/live rock 50lbs $200.00
Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom