Thinking of upgrading to a 120 or 150 gallon tank. Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggpaul

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I've had a great biocube 29 for 5 years. Added so much to it. Recently my pump failed (I know, I Should've replaced it years ago) and I lost everything. Thinking of upgrading. A lot of my equipment would transfer.

Should I go 120 (48x24x24) or a 150 (60x24x24). Would the 12 inches make a difference in the fish I can keep? Maybe a 120 would be a good enough upgrade from a 29? I'm very reluctant to upgrade. Need help!

Do you have any dream fish? Size matters on some, like I want a naso tang but need a 180 gallon so they have the room so my 120 won't work. Figure if you want something certain and research before you decide. That's my advice anyway good luck

Going from a 4ft to a 6ft tank is huge in terms of keeping saltwater fish. Fish like tangs need lots of swimming room and 6ft is best for these open water swimmers.

Do you have any dream fish? Size matters on some, like I want a naso tang but need a 180 gallon so they have the room so my 120 won't work. Figure if you want something certain and research before you decide. That's my advice anyway good luck
It would be nice to have a reef safe trigger fish. Blue tang also.

Going from a 4ft to a 6ft tank is huge in terms of keeping saltwater fish. Fish like tangs need lots of swimming room and 6ft is best for these open water swimmers.
No, I'm upgrading from a 29 gallon tank to a 120 (4ft) or a 150 (5 ft).

Personally I'd go with a five foot or more. Like they said above it depends on your fish. Some bigger fish need 24 in wide tank to move about comfortably. You could go with an 18 in take width and up the length to 5 feet on a 120. You could also drop the height to a 20 in on a specialty tank if you can afford it. Alot of options on measurements and shape.

Back
Top Bottom