Thirty Gallon Build!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
i dont know wether it was the powehead gods telling u the sand needs to settle first or its just bad luck haha.
when can u replace it? xx

Lol!!!!!

Lol I can return it Tuesday and its the brand that makes Koralia.. I forget the name and dont feel like getting out of bed lol.

Also, the tank is a lot clearer now and I decided to put a bubbled in just so I can get it moving.. Looks decent.

needmorecowbell said:
Yep.. It just stopped... Like for no reason. I'm getting in store credit probably though so it's okay.

Did you check the intake? Turn it off and poke around in there?

Hey question, do you have a ro/di unit? Or are you just buying your water?

If you buy water I would test it for salinity alkalinity etc, I know someone who made their own water and just used prime or something similar and had no problems with it then changed to store water and fought with algae till she got preggers and couldn't put her hands in the tank anymore

Strawman said:
If you buy water I would test it for salinity alkalinity etc, I know someone who made their own water and just used prime or something similar and had no problems with it then changed to store water and fought with algae till she got preggers and couldn't put her hands in the tank anymore

She made her own water? Like out of tap water? Moral of the story: stick with one type of water all the way?

Ya. Added salt removed hard metals using prime or similar.

Moral of the story would be always know what your putting in your tank. I am not saying don't use store water. But make sure you know what's in it. For example phosphates a culprit in algae growth. The Ph of the water. As well.

The safest bet is ro/di water. And adding the salt bringing g the water up to temp and letting it mix for atleast twenty four hours.

Second is tap water with prime or something similar.

Last is store bought. This in the end is most expensive and I would rather save my money and spending it on the fish corals etc

Well we don't have an ro tap at PETCO. But I was meaning the packaged premixed water. But either way ur probably getting scammed by buying ro water unless dude sells it at the cost for him to manufacturer the ro water.

Not sure. I haven't priced that. Still can't beat the end payoff of ur own ro/di system. But if they claim it is ro it has to meet certain standards. Otherwise it would be false advertising

I will break it down for you cost wise using my city as example.

Personal RO/DI
Cost of water in my city- 1500 gallon $7.05

This breaks down to $0.0047 per gallon.

I will name an outrageous amount of waste water as I can't find any specs on it.
for every 5 gallons 2 is wasted

Amount of gallons- 7
Rate- $0.0047
Total to Produce- $0.0329

I will put the store at one mile away.
My car gets 18mpg in the city.
Gas is $3.229 per gallon

The cost to travel one mile for me would be-

Cost per gallon - 3.229
Mileage - 18.000
Cost - .1793888888888888888888889

I would travel to miles so it would cost me $.358777777777778 in gas

Gas bill - $ .35877777777778
Price of water - $1.25
Total cost - $1.60877777777778

Loss calculations

Store Price: 1.608777777777778
Personal: .0329
Loss: 1.575877777777778 per trip for only 5 gallons

The abundant flow 3 stage portable system is 99.00 with a flat rate shipping cost of 10.00

Portable 3-Stage RO/DI System

Cost of RO/DI - 109.99
Loss at store - 1.57
System pays for itself in - 70 five gallon water changes
If you change bi weekly only five gallons the system pays for itself in 1 year 4 months and a day.

I would strongly suggest the RO/DI filter.

I am using tap ATM, but will most likely buy a rodi unit.. I'm pretty sure my mom won't like the wasted water though.

Update
I misread the shipping for the base rock and it will be shipped by Monday, not delivered. Is it okay to have live rock and a filter before my base or is it essential?

Good point and thanks for all of the math. Does one of you know if it is ok to rinse your sand with tap water? I have heed searching all over and can't find anything that says not to use tap water or not.

Back
Top Bottom