this should be a short thread - stupid question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mojo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm almost embarrassed to ask, but here goes. Since I'm considering buying a tank with a built-in overflow, I've asked several questions about comparing this kind of system to those with HOB overflows. Invariably people recommend getting a tank with a built-in overflow, and they mention to have pre-drilled bulkheads as well ...

What's a bulkhead? :oops:

Sorry, and hate to ask, but I can't find the answer anywhere.

So why do people say to get two bulkheads ... one to drain to the sump, and the other for a return? If that's the case, is a second pump necessary for the powerheads? Sorry that this is aquarium 101 stuff, not very interesting reading anyone except me.

yes one is a drain and one is the return. the larger hole would be the drain. water is pumped into the tank, and is returned by gravity.

If that's the case, with one of the bulkheads draining the tank by gravity, why do you need an overflow chamber? I must be missing a very simple concept.

Is there a diagram anywhere that labels all of the different components of a SW tank? That's one thing I never found in any of the books I've read.

Eureka, that's the missing link ... the holes for the bulkheads are INSIDE the overflow, right? Now I'll sleep tonight, thanks

Back
Top Bottom