Time to clean up this mess

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheRealFF

Aquarium Advice Freak
My setup is explained thoroughly in my profile.

Parameters:
0 Ammonia
0 Nitrite
3-4 Nitrate
0 Phosphate (using phos guard and it works :))
8.2 PH
500+ Ca

My tank is running well so far. Problems are:

1. Dirty (with some cyano i think) sand bed
2. Some small patches of hair algae
3. I have to clean the front glass almost everyday b/c algae growth
4. A glass anemome within my zoos colony

My light cycle:
7AM - 8AM: 5W moonlight + 65W actinic
8AM - 10PM: 5W moonlight + 65W actinic + 65W 10,000K
10PM - 11PM: 5W moonlight + 65W actinic
11PM - 7AM: 5W moonlight

Any suggestion on my light cycle to reduce aglae growth?

Im looking at purchasing UV sterilizer and HOB fuge/sump in the future. Would the UV help me much with the algae? If yes, i might buy one this weekend if i have ur approval hehe.

My clean up crew is kinda small so should i go ahead and get some more this weekend too? Any species would help me with the sand bed?

Thanks a million

OK, so I cannot follow orders...

Reduce light-not more than 8 hours a day total...then gradually increase to 10 hrs. Moonlights are ok, but IMO not needed.

PWC...PWC...PWC

Oh did I say PWC. Do at least 10-15% weekly

As for the unwanted anenome.. inject directly with lemon juice or a product called Joe's Juice. Not much lemon juice as it can lower PH.

Pepermint shrimp are also known to help control aptasia. I would wait before adding anything though as per the other long... long... long discussions we have already had on this subject.

Oh did I mention PWC?

Good Luck,

Alright thanks i'll reduce light and do more PWC. And I should just put lemon juice into the tank? or do i inject it directly into the anemone's body with a needle?

What about a UV? Do u think i need one to clear up my tank?

I'll wait for another few weeks til i add more living stuff.

BTW. I truely wish you get well soon. There are noobs and fishes for u to save :)

its good to wait to add more animals, but when you get to the point where its okay, i would suggest a conch for the sand bed. i put one in my 29 gal and my sand is nice and sparkly! Good luck!

Yes, inject a small amount directly into the anenome with a small dropper/syringe. might have to do it more than once.

When buying from LFS watch for aptasia in there tanks. I avoid buying when it is visibly present. I had a small aptasia create a large hole in my buttom polyps. They can be nasty.

Isee, thanks, I don't have any of those, yet...

aiptasia I have seen have much shorter "fingers" than pic. Since afilter did not follow orders I am going to have to get the glycerine back out. :D

You guys are killing me. :lol:

Yeah that aptasia looks knda nice, can you send me a few?

I was actaully at an chain LFS that had aptasia all over their LR and a guy was going to buy a piece so he could get some free anenomes. The employee was happy to tell him same price with or without. 8O

I kindly pulled him aside and explained that he did not really want to do that. :)

Yeah that aptasia looks knda nice, can you send me a few
That is what I thought. I could set up a 10 gallon species only tank. Very low maintenance and you could not kill them unless you spilt your lemonade in the tank.
:lol:

plus brendon, the aiptasia we got on our LR.com orders isn't nearly the pest that the species that come from the indian ocean etc..

8O I got the point about glass anemone lol. Can we talk about something else? Such as would UV help me out and should i get one?

A UV would help you keep the water clear. However what you have in your tank right now is diatoms and they will have to run their corse, UV or not.

a 4 week old tank is new and your still going through growing pains. All your numbers are good. Doing a regular water change is good but doing many IMO makes no sense. Can you post a pic.. You may just have diatom algae issues which will burn out over time. No need for a UV at this time.. Take things slow and read up and keep up on the testing and water changes ever 2-4 weeks is fine..
Cutting back on lights is good.. Waht type of water do you use and have you tested the top off water and new salt water for PO4 and nitrates.. If you have any of these in the new water doing a water change is just feeding the problem..
I have to clean my glass all the time also, not a big deal. When I had a UV it cut back on the cleanings some.
I would wait before dumping money into a UV till the tank gets older.. A UV will not help the HA, it may help on the algae on the glass.
test tap or ro/di water.. how about a pic..

Back
Top Bottom