timers and power bars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will have a fairly small setup... A couple of powerheads, 2 individual light strips, a heater, skimmer pump, and sump pump. A grand total of 7 needed outlets.

Outlet strip with some walmart brand timmers for my lights. Thats what I use on all my tanks.

A Ground Fault Interrupt (GFI) circut would be something that would/could save ones life should a short circut occur while your playing in your tank. These are the outlets that are installed in bathrooms with those little TEST buttons in the middle. In theory they are to cut power to the outlet when they detect a short or a break in the ground.

Do most reefkeepers turn off the power strip to all submersed equipment before playing in the tank?

Nope, if the equipment is faulty like that, I will most likely notice a problem in the tank first, if it is only slight...I want to know it, so again I would leave them on. Stray voltage can be easily removed by a grounding probe.

Powerheads and heaters and what not are sealed so the electrical components dont come into contact with the water. If it did then you would have a very seirous problem. This is one reason to make sure your heater tube does not break from a shifting rock or by having it on and be exposed to air and then quickly cooled down by having water splash on it.

Back
Top Bottom