Tim's 75 Gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't beat yourself up about it. I had to sell close to $250 worth of fish for $50 so I would be able to go fallow with my tank . Disease eventually happens without qt. A mistake we both made and that I wont ever do again. It just stinks we have to learn the hard way.

Only problem is you don't know exactly what your treating for..
Its very easy to set up a hospital tank/QT however....
You can get a tote from walmart ,use a piece of LR ,some filter media from your 29 filtration and then place the fish in fresh made water,,

+1 honda,,we all have been there and it does stink

I guess my question at this point is, "Is it worth setting up the qt for the last fish in the tank?" He appears healthy and I may do more harm than good by stirring up the tank by moving the rocks and corals...etc to catch him. I am considering just leaving him alone in the tank for a while and see if he is ok. Then leave him only in the tank for a month or so and not add or make any changes. I am just afraid of doing more harm than good at this point. Isn't Ich pretty much the only disease that resides in the tank and would be a danger?

Finished water change and all seems fine in the tank. I dont think I am going to mess with it. I have a friend giving me a 90 gallon that I am going to swap out with this one in the next month or so. I am just going to leave the tank alone until then and just keep an eye on things. Thanks for all the thoughts and help. This has definitely been a trying time. I am also rethinking the refugium. Should I have only live rock and not sand in the refuge? I am going to fix anything that I think may be wrong when I swap tanks.

Got my Hanna phosphate checker today and they are 0ppm. The tank is doing good and the coral beauty and the corals are doing great. One thing that is weird is that my TDS is at 112 out of my ro/di unit. I just replaced the di canister a month ago and got the TDS down to 0. I make about a gallon a day, this should not be happening. Do I need to replace the other canisters now?

I can't remember which unit you got, but can you back flush it? I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying my new RO/DI that auto backflushes every time it's used. I've also read that using an RO/DI unit frequently for short periods of time (ie a gallon a day) can be rough on them.

No, I have a Vertex Puratek 100gpd. The BRS units are pretty good as well, from my understanding. To be honest, I'd never suggest anyone pay the $400 for the unit I have, I just got lucky and traded something off for it.

I have a BRS system and it works very well so far. I would recommend it to anyone based on my first few months of usage here.

I think the 5 stage BRS unit has a back flush kit with it. I will look into that. I got the pure water club one and I dont think you can back flush it.

As far as the fish deaths, I can only assume that the foxface brought in brooklynella or marine velvet. I am going to leave the tank with just the corals and the coral beauty in it for a month or so and go from there.

Yes, the 5 stage is what I have and it has a backflush valve. While it would be great if it was auto like Jon's, it isn't too bad to just flip the valve for a minute after you run water.

There will be another group buy going for the end of the month if you are interested. :)

I will post a thread the week before so keep an eye out. lol

I coincidentally made $180 bowling last night. Looks like I will be in on the group buy! Also just got the phosphate checker. Carey, is there a trick to getting the powder into the glass container with out spilling all over? Also, you have to test the clear water first, then add the reagent right? Then test again?

Yep, the water with no reagant gets scanned first in the device so there is a baseline for comparing. I rip off the packet top and fold the packet so that a small spout forms and then add the powder like that. Much much eaiser. lol

Thanks carey. So, is my plan to leave the coral beauty and the corals in the tank for a month or so a good decision? I was thinking back to your wipeout and feel the same way you did. I dont know what happened, but all seems good now. I dont want to put fish back in for a while though. Will wait 4-6 weeks and add one fish at a time. Good plan?

Back
Top Bottom