Tim's 75 Gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't add anything to my tank for about 2 months after my wipeout. Not sure what it was only know it wasnt ich thankfully. I would go slow with adding again, just make sure you have the best parameters you can and keep an eye on the remaining fish. Not the greatest advice but it's all I got. LOL

Good luck!

I think it is great advise! I am good with letting it sit for a couple months. The corals are doing good. I will have to feed them I assume since I will be feeding very little for just one fish. I am going to concentrate more on the corals. Do you think it would be ok to add corals or should I not add them either? I just added the carbon/gfo, so all my parameters are great.

I think corals would be fine to add. Depending on what corals you have will dictate whether you need to feed them. I only ocassionally feed my duncans and the others are all good with just light and my water changes.

Hooked up my ATO finally. 18 gallon Rubbermaid for the reseviour. Should give me about two weeks. Works perfect!

No more room in the stand put the Rubbermaid next to the tank with the cover on. Doesnt look too bad.

Haha thats a good idea... Not sure how your ato works but you could put a small hole in the wall and put the water in the next room? Idk :)!

Thanks. I am cautiously optimistic after the wipeout. Pretty happy with the way it looks though! Did you say you had a toadstool that went a long time without opening?

Oh yea man when i first got mine it went a few weeks without opining! Turns out it had too much flow and it opened right up! It was also shedding..

Just ordered my koralia wave controller on the group buy. Also, bought a new 75 gallon tank tonight. The one I have is all scratched up (didnt see the scratches when I bought it. So, lots of work ahead! Gotta figure out the best way to change out the tanks. Any ideas??? It's drilled in the same place and is only 8 months old and in perfect condition.

Okay this is how i transfered my tank and it worked really well, so i will try and say it step by step on how i did it.

1) i filled the new tank up with brand new water and i seeded it with media from my previous tank. I pretty much cycled the new tank which took like 2 weeks, but could have gone faster if i used more media or added some live rock, but i really wasent in a hurry and didnt wanna risk a spike in my other tank

2) when the new tank was cycled i added half if the live rock from the old tank and waited 2 days until i added the rest. I did this because if you take out too much rock at once it can really jack up your previous system and i wanted to be safe!

3) after i added all of the new rock i added a strong fish to the new system to see how things would play out. Everything was ok so within the next few days i added the rest of my fish and corals with the rest of my seeded media from my old tank. I did a very very long acclimation for the fish.

4) after all that was done i watched the levels for the next few days and had some emergency water change water already made in case there was an epic spike!

Note: when removing rock from the old system to the new try and take them out slowly to avoid tons of sand getting kicked up and causing an ammonia spike! Also, you can add fish and corals slower then i did, but a few people on here convinced me to just do it... Haha. Also, i had brand new sand for the new tank, didnt wanna transfer tons of cruddy sand from the old tank.

Hopefully i didnt skip over anything! :)

Here is the problem. I am replacing the tank that I already have. I will need to completely remove everything from the current tank, cut apart the plumbing and get the other one in its place and put everything back. It is going on the same stand in the same location. Gonna be a pain!

Rubbermaid bins will be your friends in that project. I would also suggest new sand and seeding it with a bit of old.

Ya, its gonna suck. I am going to get the new one as close as I can. I will put the new bulkheads in it and the durso. But, once I get the old one empty, I have to cut the plumbing off the bottom, put the new tank in place and then re-do the plumbing to the new tank. Then sand, water and acclimate the fish and corals back in. I will have to set aside an entire day to accomplish this.

To buy yourself some time for plumbing you can attach the valves to the drain and close them so you can get everything into the tank and get your powerheads and heater going. This would allow you to take your time with plumbing.

Back
Top Bottom