tiny little bubbles floating aroun in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dan7448

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Everybody,
I'm a new member just registered I found this site trying to find out if the tiny bubbles floating around in my aquarium is normal or harmful. I noticed them coming from my protein skimmer. I have a 58 gallon tank with a fluval 305 filter 2 power heads inside the tank and a hanging protein skimmer on the back of my tank. Everything in my tank looks great I have 3 fish a star and a cleaner shrimp in it. My tank is a new set up 2 months now.

Dan

Welcome aboard Dan. I`m going to move this to the getting started forum so more people will see it.

I have little micro bubbles floating around also but it does not seem to bother anyone in the tank so I just let it go. I think it comes from my skimmer also.

Do you have a lot of them cause in mine it seems I a whole lot my water seems clear though

What kind/brand of skimmer is it? Does it have any type of sponge to act as a bubble trap somewhere along it's output flow?

If you just added the skimmer, sometimes it can take them a couple weeks to "break in" and stop producing the microbubbles. For the most part, they're not harmful. If you get a ton of them, the bubbles can build up on the underside of *some* hard SPS corals and irritate them.

Ha Ha, curse of the protein skimmer!!! I hate those little things. I deal with them coming from my skimmer for a day or so after shutting it off for PWCs. If you have an Octopus skimmer, that ugly blue bubble arrester works pretty good if you can stand looking at it.

An in-sump skimmer in the first chamber at least has the bubble traps to help alleviate that problem. I never see micro bubbles unless I'm feeding and the one ph creates a vortex pulls air down into the tank.

Back
Top Bottom