Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-30-2017, 06:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Tiny Tank for Sea Urchin

Hey guys! I'm brand new to these forums--just joined to ask you all a kind of strangely specific question.

Is is possible/humane to keep a purple sea urchin in a 2 gallon tank?

I'm currently in a developmental biology lab at school, and our semester-long project involves growing purple sea urchins (Strongylocentrotus purpuratus) from larvae. At the end of the semester, I'd love to take mine home! I have a spare betta tank that I could start cycling now to prepare for it. Would it be possible to house just one urchin in there? How much space would one little guy need?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-30-2017, 07:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

What species of urchin is it? Some get much larger than others. They also consume loads of algae, mostly coraline but they'll eat green hair and other bryopsis species of macro algaes as well.

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I just found out the species--it will be Strongylocentrotus purpuratus, a purple sea urchin!
Old 08-31-2017, 01:15 AM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Well...could simply feed it nori and do a gallon water change a week. Long as there was rock and sand in there...I'd guess it'd be doable since it'd have such minimal bioload.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, saltwater, sea, setup, tank, urchin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com