Tips on removing cyano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sniperhank

Giant Clam Addict
I have a cyano outbreak in my sand bed. My timer failed while I was at work and the lights were on full blast for 16 hours. I have been working on fixing the problem with water changes and physically removing the cyano with a big plastic spoon and turkey baster. This isn't really cutting it... Any good ways of removing it? I don't want to use a vaccuum since it is in the sand, I want the sand to stay in the tank.

And missing a water change...but I've already solved that issue. It is the first outbreak my tank has had since going up in October...so I've been waiting for it tbh.

To get it out use an airline tube instead of a big vacuum. U just skim the surface and u don't lose a lot of sand. Even if u do its like a handful. I used a 1/4 or a 3/16 innch I think because all the little stones and shells clog up the smaller ones. Leave ur lights out for a couple days and ur coral will be alright.

Instead of actually changing the water if the cyano gets really bad siphon out the cyano and filter the water u sucked out. Then return the filtered water to the tank because u know that it is nutrient free water (it had cyano in it so ur good). Do that every day or two till ur problem is gone along with the usual preventative measures. I have fixed numerous tanks with that method.

I know ur going to say I use ro do water. Doesn't matter this is the best method everyone I know has used used to fix the problem. Plus u don't have to waste salt

Keep me updated cuz mine got outta control I'd like ro know how urs goes. I don't think it will be away in a week

Back
Top Bottom