Tips on water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tate

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Any tips on how to quickly and more easily change/put water into or out of tank

I just use a siphon and buckets but I run nano systems. I believe you can get a pump that will work to pump water from a trash can into the tank if you have a larger system. Hopefully someone with bigger tanks can chime in and tell you what they do

I use a power head to pump water out and then back in and run a hose outside but was wondering any easier ways...

How big is your tank and how far away from your kitchen sink is it?

Look into water changer kits at your LFS, they hook to the kitchen sink and are great for removing the water, straight from the tank down the drain.

Adding water is as simple as a piece of tubing from whatever you have your new water in to your tank as a siphon. I know a lot people use the Brute trash cans on the rolling base.

D

90 gallon I want to know how the people with over 100 gallon tanks change their water

I pump mine out with a 1000gph pump into a utility sink nearby. Then another pump (I'm using a mag 5) to put my mixed water back in. I do this from the sump- I don't dangle a pump in the tank.

Best way is to use python syphon kit! Don't bother going to your lfs for it though, get it for half the price on amazon.

My bad totally didn't see the reef section... Haha that changes things a little bit

From what I've seen having a mag pump in a 55 gallon barrel mixing ur salt water for a day or two then using that pump to pump the water into the tank

Sorry about my previous post

Mrx is your water storage container close to your tank because I have to push my bin from The bathroom to the tank and then pump it in

Yes, my barrels are close to the sump and I use a 10' piece of hose connected to those pumps to remove and replace. You can extend the hose from your RODI and keep your containers close as well, as long as it's not unsightly.

What's the longest extension line on a rodi unit

90 gallon I want to know how the people with over 100 gallon tanks change their water

Right now on my 120g I syphon it out into a 5gal bucket until I get my 30 gal out. Then fill it each time from the tub and dump it in after mixing. PITA. But looking into the brute trash can option.

Like Mr. X I have a 55 gallon food grade barrel with a heater and powerhead that I mix my saltwater in. When I need to do a water change its only a matter of siphoning some water out of the tank and attaching a hose to the powerhead in the barrel to siphon new water back in. I started doing this when I had my 120g up, but I now only have a 20g so a barrelful lasts me a good month or two before I need to refill.

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom