To Skim or not to Skim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nugrad2005

Aquarium Advice Activist
What is the general consensus on using a protein skimmer while the tank is still cycling, especially if lets say for example that there is a minor bioload in the tank during the cycling.

And lets assume for the moment that i don't need to hear about how i shouldn't have fish in the tank while its cycling.

Thanks.

-Dan

you really shouldn't have fish in the tank while it's cycling hehe j/k ;o)

I didn't use a protien skimmer on my 55 during the cycle. and I actualy still don't have a skimmer on it.

JMO.

And lets assume for the moment that i don't need to hear about how i shouldn't have fish in the tank while its cycling.
Opened yourself up for that oone eh? He he,,,I won't throw stones, I started with damsels in the beginning.. It is safer for the fish to do it fishless, and I recommend it now, but hey, to each his own right?

I would not use a skimmer until you see the Nitrite and Ammonia go away for good. As soon as you see that, you can use a skimmer IMO.. Now, it will also depend on how you are going to stock and feed your tank...this will decide really whether or not you are going to have to have a skimmer or not..

I agree with Timbo. Another sure sign that it's time to fire up the skimmer is when you start to see the film on top of the water that we call DOC's (dissolved organic compounds)

Back
Top Bottom