Tom's 55G Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone have an idea on why my corals are fine but I can't keep fish!!! So upsetting. I lost 1 fox face, two 6 lines, 5 green chromis, 1 clown and a mandarin. The tang lasted 2 months. The clown and fox face about 1. Both six lines died within 2 or 3 days same with the chromis. Too many fish at once. They were at least introduced a month apart.

Did you piss off the fish gods?? Lol no im clueless very odd try getting fish from different lfs

Lol I guess so. I've purchased fish from a couple different stores. The clown that's still alive believe it or not I got from petco back in October he's fine as of now. I got the 5 chromis from there too supposedly hardy fish but have been reading that some people are having troubles too. I went to 3 different stores and all fish died but inverts and corals are fine.

Lol I guess so. I've purchased fish from a couple different stores. The clown that's still alive believe it or not I got from petco back in October he's fine as of now. I got the 5 chromis from there too supposedly hardy fish but have been reading that some people are having troubles too. I went to 3 different stores and all fish died but inverts and corals are fine.

Good luck hope you get to the bottom of it

Thanks I appreciate it. Just going to stay idle for now and continue to so my water changes and feeding the 1 clown. Hopefully things turn around maybe next month.

55 gallon. Emperor 400 hob, reef octopus skimmer. No sump, small fuge in top left of tank with flow has chaeto and grape caulerpa with pod population all throughout the tank.

Yes, the only fish to show signs of ich was 1 clown that died a while ago and the yellow tang had it the same time. He lasted a while longer. One day I was examining the tank and noticed no spots of ich were left on the tang so I was excited bc he was always letting the cleaner shrimp on him. He was clean for a day or two then it came back and didn't last much longer after that. I guess it was the ich then...I thought it was the stress from the new powerheads stirring up the sand and debri off the rocks that werent getting good circulation beforehand.

received my api reef master test kit in the mail today so did a test tonight.
Calcium = 24 drops = 480ppm
KH- 8 drops = 8 dkh = 143.2 ppm KH
Phos - 0 ppm
Trates - 0 ppm

How does this look. Thanks.

All seems normal. Alkalinity is acceptable but a little on the low side and i remember you posting that your PH was a little low also. You can trying dosing a stand alone alkalinity buffer or alkalinity portion of a 2 part buffer. Keeping your water oxygenated will help maintain a stable PH along with the micro bubbles from your skimmer.

Yes, from the research I have done I believe that the PH may be lower at the night time since the lights are off and I don't have a seperate fuge with alternate lighting schedule to maintain PH which may be the reason it was low when I did my diagnostics. The kit I used last night as well was at night time - around 2am.

I am going to do another water change either today or tomorrow so I will retest all levels during prime time and take it from there.

Those Gorgonians with white polyps are non photosynthetic. They rely solely on food in the water column. It's hard to keep them long term without overloading the tank with nutrients. They are better off left in the ocean.
Tangs and Foxface rabbits need a bigger tank than you have. It's quite possible the stress from the tight quarters is what lowered their immune systems.

Mr x thank you so much for commenting on my build here. I appreciate the input. I have checked out your thread as well sooo many pages I didnt get a chance to finish yet lol. So far the purple sea whip is doing okay, I only got it from reefs2go impulse buy it was 10$. By looking over my parameters do you know why my royal gramma would dissapear or I lost 2 6 lines at two different time periods? I have a great pod population all over my rocks I have noticed and the mandarin only lasted 2 or 3 days.

No. I can't tell from the current information. How about water changes? How are you doing them? How often? How are you mixing the water? Has the ph rose at all since you added the power heads?

I have an ro/di machine and I use instant ocean reef salt. I mix it in a tupperware with an extra circulation pump and a small heater to temp match. I do bi-weekly water changes. About 20%

THe pH has pretty much remained constant at around 8.0 I will test shortly after my next water change today to see if I notice a difference.

The salt mix you are using- is it all from the same bucket? If so, maybe it's a bad batch. Try a different salt for a while.

It was out of a bag I got. Just finished it the week before last so I ordered a bucket for 160 gallons. They sent me two buckets by mistake. Their loss my gain! Going to use that today I'm making the rodi water as we speak. Does this look normal? I'm thinking about getting a new one this I bought used.

Back
Top Bottom