Tom's 55G Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree. Looks nice. I would put that montipora higher up the rock work and off of the sand.
Also, You might want to re-home that sand sifting star before it starves to death. I doubt there's enough food in that brand new sand bed.

Thanks, X I will move the monti up more. Just trying to figure out where to put it so it doesn't get knocked down by the flow. As far as the star, I've had it since that clown was in a 10g since September. It's been fine so far but I will look to re-home it until further notice. When do you think I should put it back in?

I would try and do without a sand sifting star. You already have this one, so, unless you can find someone with a large, established sand bed to take it, I would keep it and hope for the best.

Ok will do thinking about picking up those eBay LEDs. 2 of them are $290 with free shipping. The 120w dim able ones from the other thread were on. I just can't see myself pushing the button for that much $$ for lights right now. Maybe wait for my tax return. Still debating.

I feel like I need to change it up. I want to re-do my aqua scape. I am content at the time where my corals are kinda sorta but down the line I feel like I have no where to place corals unless I glue them. I did my original scape so the fish I get for the tank have room to swim around the perimeter of the rocks and have caves and crevices to swim through but I have poor coral placement spots. For anyone with a 55 tank can you post up pictures of aqua scapes to give me some ideas maybe. I have two 5 gallon buckets of what is now dead rock I can always add to the tank. Before I do so what should I do to the rock to clean it to prevent a mini cycle if I do add more. Thanks a lot

I read on another thread for saltwater tanks a hob or canister filter is not needed if you have live rock/skimmer/good flow. Is this the case? Am I harboring nitrates in my hob emperor 400 filtration system? It has 4 trays inside. 2 I have activated carbon, by the way when do I change this out, and 2 of the trays have the media that came inside already. Question... can I keep this hob filter and just throw my grape culpera (spelling?) and chaeto inside? Does this need light to grow? Should I remove the entire hob and use that space for an overflow and put a 10g under the stand (if i can squeeze it through 1 side of the door opening)? If i do run a sump/fuge under the tank what size piping would I need for the overflow and return. what gph pump would I need for a return? I saw a 700gph return that has 3/4 connection for about 30 bucks

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has been helping me along this journey. Maybe one of the mods/admins can move this to sw aquaria instead of getting started? Thanks.

You could possibly alter the HOB to make it a mini refugium, but yes, you will need lighting over it, because after all, these are plants we are talking about.
It's also possible that detritus could build up in the filter and be a source of nitrate, but this wouldn't happen if you cleaned it regularly.
I have seen people use 10 gallon tanks as sumps, but that is a small tank- you will be severely limited. See if you can find a used 20 long somewhere. That would work much better. As for the GPH of the overflow, 700 should be fine for your tank.

Okay. I was thinking about trying to fit a 10g tank under the stand if it fits to hook up an overflow box to it. If it fits, since I have a lot of flow, live rock and a skimmer can I remove my emperor hob filter even if I don't run a sump?

Just making new water now and put my TSS meter I just got dipped it in the water and it was reading 130 ppm. This is not good i assume? Coming from tap is 180.

Back
Top Bottom