Tom's 55G Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds good, I'll start around 10'' and work my way down if needed.

On another note, it was so nice out yesterday here on long island. My bedroom where the tank is located faces the front of the house. My room bakes in the summer time and my pops would kill me if I had my air conditioner running all day. I finally put my ac in last night because it was so uncomfortable. However, when I got home from work, my tank was almost at 90*!!!! It was around 87-88*F. I quickly turned my whites off and just ran the 2 blues for my t5 fixture since that generates a lot of heat. I blew a fan ontop of the tank to try and keep it as cool as possible - also topped off w/ rodi water that was cooler than what the tank said. I was so scared I was going to lose life in there. As of this morning everythings ok and with my ac on all night the tank was back down to 80* but that 7-8* is a huge change for less than 24 hours even though it was gradual. I know the LEDs are going to run much cooler - but it was only like 75-80* out yesterday. I can't imagine what's going to happen when it hits 90-100*. It looks like I'm going to have to invest in a chiller.

I keep mine around 10 inches

don't forget to get timers so they go on and off the same time every day (y)

just wait to see how happy your corals are going to be:D

I keep mine around 10 inches

don't forget to get timers so they go on and off the same time every day (y)

just wait to see how happy your corals are going to be:D

I have 2 timers already for my 2 whites and 2 blues for my t5 set up. Each dial timer has 2 outlets on it so I think I'll be okay. The new fixtures come with 2 power cords each so I should be fine.

Looking at this chiller:
AquaEuroUSA Max Chill Aquarium Chiller

I don't want to spend this much money though....

Thanks for looking. I did some research on that unit and it's something that needs to be drilled into the tank. Basically there's a 1 1/4 bulkhead that the probe slips through and the rest of the unit sits outside the sump/dt. Not going to work...

So I got my lights hung. I have them turned down whites 40% blues 40% for each unit. Looks good a little dim but these boys get bright. All my corals are open and the shimmer and color look great. I have them hung 8'' from the top of the tank. They were a little cock-eyed so I used a piece of fishing line and tied the two together - this way they don't sway at all. I took some pics on my iphone i'll post up but my app hasnt been working on my phone. Even my fish look more colorful. The shimmer look is okay - it's going to take some time to get used to. It's making me a little dizzy honestly. "disco ball" effect. Hope to see some growth out of this

Alright thanks. 1 of my blue mushrooms didn't open but the goby was sifting near it that's probably why. Everything else opened nice.

Taken from my iPhone just like all the other pics I've posted as well. I have some new additions. Lyretail Anthias that I can't get a picture of bc my yellow eye tang has been harassing him since I just put him in the tank - I hope this isn't a long term issue.

Pink birdsnest -
image-2943959449.jpg

Green monti cap -
image-1072808557.jpg

Updated FTS
image-2556515588.jpg

And some randoms of the lights.

image-429009771.jpg

image-2290733296.jpg

image-3346806130.jpg

image-3987749104.jpg

image-3662794684.jpg

Thanks guys. I used to have a type of monti I was told but it didn't survive I bc of improper lighting conditions I believe. It used to be brown now it's white. Ill put up a before and after picture of that. If someone can ID it for me.

But now that I have my LEDs ( btw price dropped $30) in price 4 days after I bought them lol I hope to keep all my corals happy and thriving. I got those 2 pieces because I noticed white tips which proves growth.

my girlfriends sister has one of those nice cameras i'm going to borrow one day and take some nice shots so the clarity is better. but thank you so much for the kind words. My tank has come a long way from the ups and downs and i'm really happy with it so far. Now if this kole tang just leaves my lyretail alone i'll be content. :)

Back
Top Bottom