Tom's 55G Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I'm having a hard time finding 1/4 black mesh for the DIY screen top like they sell on brs. Any idea where I can get some ? Home Depot had like a netting but it's the same size as the holes in the egg crate

I went to lows and there's nothing so don't go there. Wouldn't that size be ok? I think the odds of a small blenny isn't very good for them to get though that size space. I know it's possible but it's better than nothing

I think it's better to have clear so the light can shine through it better. The black still might have a grid look on the bottom though idk

Yeah that's true. I just wanted something a little smaller. My diamond goby jumped out of the tank last night again. Actually this morning. Around 6:30am it woke me and my girlfriend up. I was half asleep and didn't know what was going on but she put him back in for me thank god lol. He didn't slip through the holes in the egg crate, but the 3x3 space I cut out to feed. Gotta get it fixed ASAP. I may just use that then since I already bought it idk

The clear I heard reflects a lot of the light. The black is better and it's so thin you won't be able to see the grid look

We'll I'm sure you have done more research I have no idea. Keep us informed

Will do. Some good and bad news so far.
Bad news : lost my yellow eye tang (2-3") and lyretail anthias to ich. My goby, snowflake clown pair and barletts anthias are doing great and show no signs of ich or stress.

In the mean time I decided to upgrade my sump. Currently I have a 10g glass tank with just a tank divider with a small breeder basket full of chaeto and caulerpa. I have a 4" filter sock that I change out whenever it overflows and an unknown return pump that work perfect and is very quiet.
This is what it currently looks like

image-3758915678.jpg

image-4050231936.jpg

image-2528751148.jpg

image-1853004315.jpg

I just picked up a acrylic sump that its perfect in the stand and is actually legit. The only thing I need to so is cap off the bulk head.

Here's a pic of that :

image-1717698877.jpg

Hopefully the transfer all goes well. I'm going to try and install my hob on here somehow so the DT only has the overflow box showing.

Once this gets settled, an ato from autotopoff.com is up next.

Thanks for looking. Feedback welcome. Btw. Love the LEDs.

I got an ATO COMING IN THE mail from them. I can't wait to set that up so my salinity stays more stable. If I were you I would ditch that sump lite and just get a Home Depot shop light with a regular bulb. My cheato grows so fast that I trim once every two weeks and give it to the LFS for water. .

Once I put the new sump in ill probably get a new light just one of the regular bulbs that clamp on. The only reason I'm using the current one was bc it just was laying around. Ill see what happens.

Looking good Tommy. Good move picking up the bigger sump. Sorry to hear about the ick outbreak though.

Phew! I finally caught up from the beginning, been reading this all day! Really good build you've got going on - glad you kept sticking to it through out the fishy deaths. Love the LEDs - really gives it that pop.

Phew! I finally caught up from the beginning, been reading this all day! Really good build you've got going on - glad you kept sticking to it through out the fishy deaths. Love the LEDs - really gives it that pop.

Thank you so much. My tank is NOTHING compared to so many others I have seen but it's coming along. I just want to fast forward to 2-3 years down the line fully stocked and nice growing corals. Hope to have a frag tank in the future and sell locally to other people on nearby forums and LFS. That's my dream hobby so far.

Back
Top Bottom