top offs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JASONinNM

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need an auto top off! What are these and where can I get one?!

Also when I do top off the tank from evaporation do I need to change water? I know I don't add salt because it stays In the tank and that why we gotta top off too. So changed and fluncutions in the salinity and ph don't happen??

Any input helps! Thanks guys!

do you have a cover on the tank? if not covers are best to use so that you con't get much water loss, also placing one on your sump helps too. your top off would have to be on the return section of your sump if thats your means of filtration. if not its just added clutter and a well fitted cover will work fine.

i had problems with evaporation, i would loss a gallon to a gallon and a half a week, once i made a full plexiglass cover with minimal gaps around my filters and wires i can get to my next PWC with next to no water loss and a stable salinity.

as for as water changes you'll still have to do the same change, when water evaporates like the salt the polutants stay in the water makign the concentration higher in the remainign water

Adding top off water will not replace water changes. You should still do regular WC

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Thanks guys! But maybe some misuderstanding....

I'm not seeing if just these top offs will do... I still preform water changes bi weekly.

I'm asking every time I do a top off should I also need to do a small WTC? Or would it be fine to just top off and wait to do a WTC when I do my bi weekly WTC.

Gti_Leo said:
do you have a cover on the tank? if not covers are best to use so that you con't get much water loss, also placing one on your sump helps too. your top off would have to be on the return section of your sump if thats your means of filtration. if not its just added clutter and a well fitted cover will work fine.

i had problems with evaporation, i would loss a gallon to a gallon and a half a week, once i made a full plexiglass cover with minimal gaps around my filters and wires i can get to my next PWC with next to no water loss and a stable salinity.

as for as water changes you'll still have to do the same change, when water evaporates like the salt the polutants stay in the water makign the concentration higher in the remainign water

I don't have a cover on the tank! I have a DYI canopy with two 175w metal hilides. Id have to do some mods to it for a versa top lid (whish is what id want if I were to get a lid) u suggest buying

(Suggust buying) - plexi glass? (From where) and cut to cover tank top? I was going to add a top but was chatting with some guy that owned an LFS in the same state as I and he said that having lids causes fluncuations in water perameters??

There is no need for you to do a water change when you add top off water just add the needed amount of freshwater to the tank.
If you are adding a lot of water over the period of a few days I would recommend getting an ATO.
I evap. Close to 2 gallons per day on just one of my tanks. Not having an ATO in my case would be a real pain.
I am not a big fan of having a cover on a tank but if I did I would just go with glass.

glass won't bend as much yeah but plexiglass is more fkexable and won't shatter in the tank. i also have a bow face so it was alot easier to cut then glass, if i had a box tank it would be easier to use glass

i bought a sheet at home depot and cuz it to size

i would rather have the auto top-off than cover the tank. i like the gas exchange that an open top tank affords. a good supply of fresh air to the water surface is a good thing.

just google "auto top off" if you need one. i like the JBJ ATO myself.

Go with an auto top off. I do cover one of my tanks but it because the fish might want to go tile surfing. I have this one on my 55 AutoTopoff.com (it came used with the used tank setup). I have another from a forum it is a no name brand it doesn't work as good it is reliable just more touchy. I have one in the mail from another forum I hope it works on my JBJ but it it doesn't I know someone that will want it for a tank with a sump. Here is more of a kit version auto top-off components I was considering one if I didn't find a good buy on a used one. I have a spare maxi jet I was going to use for the pump. The JBJ is suppose to be an excellent buy for the price and I missed getting a used one really cheap from a forum.

I have aqualifters for pumps on both of mine and the one coming has one. I have read mixed reviews on them but so far they have worked fine.

I got my auto top off at marine depot. Just be careful when u install it because if the top off hose is unfer water when the pump turns off it will start to back syphon all the water. I run mine in my sump and i have a 5 gallon bucket under the tank that is my resevior. It is a great system to have if u dont want to get an RODI

Just to add to what others are saying, I'd also make sure you get the PVC cover over the float switch. Autotopoff.com has them. It eliminates turbulence and the switch from bobbing up and down. It also protects from snails jamming your switch open or closed.

I've used aqualifter pumps and don't recommend them. My issue with them was inconsistency and very poor head loss performance. I suggest saving and buying the peristaltic style pump that will last years and perform consistently.

It is a great system to have if u dont want to get an RODI
how does this replace a R.O.D.I. unit?
reverse osmosis units clean the water. they don't keep the tank full. you still need to implement an auto top off in order to keep the tank full.

I meant that if u dont want to tap into your plumbing to use an RODI then u can use an ato instead. You use a totally different float valve system with a an RODI. They are two totally different things. For me the plumbing in my house is to far from the tank so i use an ato instead of an rodi but the water in my resevoir is from an rodi. The water is cleaned the same way.

I have my RO/DI unit in the garage and use my garden hose. I have tapped into pipes before and there's no going back if something messes up.

Iv heard about that pvc cover and snails making the ATO go off.... they must be sensitive?? So do I need a pump to run waTer from resivor to sump?

yes. if the R.O. tank is right next to the sump, you can use a maxijet. i use a MJ1200 for this purpose.
btw, i don't know why someone would want to put snails in the sump. it makes no sense at all. if it's a simple sump without a refugium, then just shield it from light and there will be no algae growth. if it contains a refugium, you aren't supposed to have anything in it that eats algae anyway.

Back
Top Bottom