Totally new to this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spencer1044

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright so I'm mostly in to freshwater tanks but my brother has a 65 gal freshwater tank and he wants to convert it to saltwater. I'm trying to explain how expensive saltwater tanks are but then I don't really know. Could anyone tell me what equipment we would need (he wants to do live coral) how many lbs of live rock. This is not a drilled tank but do you need to have it drilled. Can someone give me a list of everything we would need to get for this tank. I will do a lot more research before we actually decide to set it up. Thanks!

Whew, thats quite a list.

Dry rock - 65lbs $130
Refractometer - $30
Ro/di unit - $150 ish
Lighting - $200
Power heads - $100 ish
Skimmer $150
Water tests - $75ish
Quarantine tank - $50ish

A refugium is highly recommended and you can expect to add another $200 for one of those.

An auto top off is highly recommended as well and will run around $100

This is all some of the prices on cheap basic equipment. Costs raise immensely for higher quality equipment.

Wow that's a lot what do you all use on your setups and what if we didn't use live coral

Wow that's a lot what do you all use on your setups and what if we didn't use live coral

Are you talking about live rock or live coral? They are two different things.

Live rock is used as filtration for the tank. It comes with hitch hikers and things that live in it. Coral is a living creature that grows. Live rock is generally composed of coral skeleton unless it's man made.

Live rock
live-rock.jpg

Dry Rock
BRS-Pukani-Dry-Rock-2.jpg

Live coral
Coral_Outcrop_Flynn_Reef.jpg

Live rock makes up the biological filtration of our tanks. However, dry rock will become live when you cycle the tank, it will just take a little longer.

Dry rock costs $2-$3 per pound while live rock can cost $5 - $10 per pound. You need about 1lb of rock per gallon of tank volume. Buying live rock for a tank that size will be about $500 versus $130 if you bought all dry rock.

What kind of filter would this need would the quiet flow 55/75 HOB filter he has now work. then how much lighting Is needed. How much sand and live rock would it need

What kind of filter would this need would the quiet flow 55/75 HOB filter he has now work. then how much lighting Is needed. How much sand and live rock would it need
I've said the amount of rock twice... 1lb per gallon.

Sand - probably 40 to 60 lbs

For flow in the tank shoot for 10x to 40x the tank volume per hour. Whether you choose to do this with filters or powerheads, its not really important. Just try to avoid canisters because they are nitrate factories.

How can I turn dry rock into live rock
"Live" is a statement as to whether it's cycled and has bacteria on it. When you cycle the tank it becomes live. Live rock is rhe reason you don't really need to use filters for a salt water tank.

So I could just get 65 pounds of regular dry rock and get a bacteria starter and it will just do it its self

For ideas on coral, frags which are small chunks (maybe an inch average) put on a cap or plug start maybe $3-5 on up to any crazy amount for rare ones, but "normal" easy to grow varieties would be 15 to $20 and then on up around 35-40. If you look at prices sometimes they show a nice piece and then it says $15. "pp" which is per polyp, which is each tiny colorful bit /head or charge per head, so you have to read carefully what you are buying if you are ordering online, and ask if it is for the price is for the piece or the per polyp or head.

You can also join a reef club and they will have swaps and events to buy and door prizes and you could learn a lot.

One other thing is that you need a place to mix up your SW mix or buy it per gallon and also the ro/di water (I think that was mentioned).

Oh, and it is addicting too. lol

Be careful of getting cheap stuff which grows like/are kinda like weeds, Xenia, Kenya trees, Calurpa, Green Star polyps, that all I can think of off the top of my head.

Check out nuisance macroalgae and see what to stay away from as well.

You can do it, just think through it all carefully and have a plan, research. There is SOOOOO much to learn and know. But just like with FW, you didn't know everything and likely still don't, but now you have an idea what to to do to find out.:flowers:

Do I need a quarantine tank if so how big and what equipment do I put on it

And lastly stocking:
Planed on having at least a porcupine puffer what other fish could go with that in a 65 gal and what/how much invertebrates should I get

Okay I've actually been reading up on porcupine puffers and it says they will destroy coral and bite other tank mates and eat inverts is this true because at my lfs they have what seems like a porcupine puffer in a big display tanks with tons of coral and other fish

Back
Top Bottom