Training seahorse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennfindingzen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Trying to train my seahorses to eat from a feeding station. So far they have sampled one each, but just kept staring and now they are just playing around in the bowl LOL. Any tips?

image-171440592.jpg

Do you any additives to your frozen foods

try using a garlic juice like garlic guard or garlic boost and soak it in the prepared food. it helps boost a fishs immune system and it also entices them to eat so eitherr way its a win win

Last edited:
I soak hikari enriched brine shrimp with two drops of Selco before I feed them to the seahorse. How do I prepare the garlic? Do you juice it and soak the shrimp? Do seahorses enjoy the taste?

My seahorses are growing though... The tank is in my bedroom and I'm not sure how my boyfriend will feel about upgrading as that wasn't out plan, but I was told they only grow to maximum 6 inches. I am also aware that they are vertical swimmers and maybe that's why the two large ones are getting really bouncy. My liking for them grows more and more each day and I want to ensure they best home for them possible. Any advice with transitioning?

seahorses are like mandarins they enjoy eating live foods such as pods that live in the live rock and sand. they could be eating this which is the reason they could be growing, but the pods won't last forever if you have a smaller tank. you could also try live brine shrimp and then slowly mix in frozen as the horses get used to brine. then add some mysis shrimp, i would rather get my fish used to mysis over brine, there is more nutirents in it then in the enriched brine.

its usually key to start mixing in live brine though as brine is a saltwater shrimp and present in reef worlds

as for the garlic, most fish do respond to it, i'm not sure the exact reason why, could be the smell could be the taste but it is a good way to get fish trained on a food or to even help boost their immunities

Thanks! I'm going to try the garlic and see if the mysid shrimp will fit through their snouts this time. I have a mandarin goby, he's harder to care for than the seahorses or pipefish!

I read somewhere that dragonettes don't even have to be taught to eat nutramar ova, but mines was uninterested by the pile of nutramar ova I laid in front of it. From what I know, dragonettes are harder to care for. Sometimes it's probably just that individual fish and it's prior experience of being a captive.

Back
Top Bottom