Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2017, 05:13 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Transitioning my 10 gallon from freshwater to saltwater

Can someone walk me through how to transition from a freshwater to a saltwater tank please? I have a ten gallon I've had for five years or so fully cycled and previously housed goldfish and then transition to housing a cichlid.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Remove everything from the tank. Replace all the filter material with new material. Clean the tank out thoroughly. Then you can completely restart it for sw.

For sw you'll need aragonite based sand, live/dry rock, about a lb per gallon of both. You'll need a powerhead that does anywhere from 10-40x gph. I'd shoot for 20-30 myself. If you want coral you'll need a new light, if not I'd still get a different light that has more of an actinic color to it. You will want rodi water or premixed sw from your lfs unless you want to buy your own rodi. And you will need marine salt to mix in the rodi water if you are not buying premixed.
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gallon, ate, fresh, freshwater, freshwater to saltwater, gallon, salt, saltwater, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com