treating and feeding reef-fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

What would be a good cocktail and routine fo a fish and reef tank with live rock, live sand, mushrooms and polyps, various algae critters, cleaner shrimp?

I have been adding the two-stage B-Ionic calcium/buffer most days, Iodine once a week, Strontium/Molybednum twice a week, and alternating MicroVert and Phytoplex twice a week (once each).

56 gal tank, water tests great, 5 months old.

Is all this too much? Anything important missing?

Thanks!

Is all this too much?

IMO, yes.

Anything important missing?

Magnesium.

I have been adding the two-stage B-Ionic calcium/buffer most days, Iodine once a week, Strontium/Molybednum twice a week

Are you testing for these additives? What are the levels? You should never add any trace element or major element to your tank that you do not test for. That said, IMO all you need to do is add the B-Ionic as tests dictate, and do regular waterchanges.

reefrunner,

Thanks. What specific tests should I use and what do they relate to?

Is there a test for iodine? strontium/molybenum?

LFS told me, and I think I have read elsewhere (eg, books by Paletta or Fenner) that iodine and strontium were essential. Ditto calcium.

I am obviously confused and concerned, and trying to figure it all out. The good news is that the tank, running now 5 months, has done very well. Tests for salinity, PH, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite all excellent. I do regular water changes, including use of purified water. Have UV light, Fluval 403, two powerheads, all good things.

Any further explanation or clarification is appreciated. I am trying to just get into a manageable, relatively simple routine. Also, I try to keep the easier care fish and corals, not those that are the more sensitive or complicated.

Thanks!

LFS told me, and I think I have read elsewhere (eg, books by Paletta or Fenner) that iodine and strontium were essential. Ditto calcium.

When you use a quality seasalt mix and do your water changes on a regular basis, these things get replaced at a normal level. Also, unless you have critters that use up the calcium at enormous rates, that too is replaced normally in saltwater. ALot of folks just use a kalkwasser drip in their top off water to keep the calcium levels a little higher than what water changes alone will do.

What specific tests should I use and what do they relate to?

You should test for CA and ALK, they would relate to the CA and ALK.

Is there a test for iodine? strontium/molybenum?

Yes there is, if your adding these chemicals to your tankyou should be testing for them, it is highly debatable, however, of the necessity of Iodine and/or molybdenum at all, much less levels beyond what is provided with reg waterchanges.

See above, the necessity of the addition of these elements is going to be determined by what type of tank you have and the demand for each element by the animals in your tank, for example, in a FO setup, you will not find it necessary to add anything, in a reef tank with stoney corals, you will find it necessary to supplament CA and ALK.

what exactly is the kalkwasser drip...is it same as the B-Ionic 2 part calcium/buffer, in effect?

should I just use the B-Ionic in top-off water, and with water changes, or should I put it in once a week?

I did a Hagen calcium test but who-knows-what it indicated...seemed to be high, but I doubt that...will check again for better reading and maybe get another test.

Not sure about other folks out here but I use Salifert test kits on my tank. They seem to be VERY accurate and well worth the extra few dollars per kit. I test for CA and Alk and that's about it. I agree that you should only add the elements that you are testing for. Regular water changes will replenish most necessary trace elements. I do find that water changes do not replenish my CA to an adequate level. I attribute this to the fact that I have many stoney corals and I have a hard time keeping my CA at an acceptable level anyway. CA, Alk and buffer are the things I ever add to the tank but only when necessary.

Hope this helps! :D

One thing you have to remember is that supplements that are incorrectly dosed can cause lots of problems. Calcium dosed incorrectly can often lead to percipitation(in effect, doing nothing for you). Also, CA and ALK go hand in hand. ALK acts as a buffer and can help maintain CA at high levels. Unfortunately, I have seen people go back and forth for months, working for several hours a week, trying to get the two in balance, and with no positive results. Kalk is a good step, or you might even look into a calcium reactor. They are expensive, but work very well. I agree with Reefrunner, there is no substitute for good old fashioned water changes. We are often times to quick to want to add chemicals to our water...Sad. Anyways, 0X Good luck

what exactly is the kalkwasser drip

Kalkwasser is calcium hydroxide powder mixed with RO water. Kalk is a very caustic substance (ph around 12) so must be added to the system slowly. It is recommended that you drip the kalk at night to help maintain your overnight ph.

is it same as the B-Ionic 2 part calcium/buffer, in effect?

Yes and no. Both are balanced solutions that are best used daily. They raise (or maintain) both the CA and the ALK of the tank.

should I just use the B-Ionic in top-off water, and with water changes, or should I put it in once a week?

Once you find it necessary to add a CA and ALK supplament, you will add B-ionic daily, I add it to the overflow of my tank, this mxes it with the tank water quickly and I don't risk any of the chemicals touching my corals before it is thouroughly mixed.

I did a Hagen calcium test but who-knows-what it indicated...seemed to be high, but I doubt that...will check again for better reading and maybe get another test.

I highly recommend Salifert test kits. When adding something like b-ionic you will want to test CA and ALK and Mg.

Back
Top Bottom