Trouble balancing my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a little test you can try. Take a jar full of saltwater from your tank and put it outside with an airstone bubbling outside air thru the water. Test your water and see what it shows.
Have you tried this?

Sniperhank said:
Ok, I'm having issues with my pH. It started when I switched from bought saltwater to the distilled I make. What can I do to safely raise my pH. I have been adding pH buffer daily now, but when I test after work it is back below testing range of my kit. My corals are retracting and I need a solution for this!

http://www.ehow.com/list_6188829_benefits-crushed-coral_.html

Have you tried adding crushed coral to the filter to raise the ph?

No, I read about it but aside from getting the bagged "live" crushed coral have no access to it unless I order some. That and I'd have to put it into my sump, which I was hoping to turn into a fuge. I'm not even sure if it is needed is my biggest issue. I'm not sure if I am having pH issues or if my tests are screwed up.

Just trying to figure out why a weed coral, GSP, won't even open up and why my zoas haven't opened up for days. This is how I stumbled upon this issue.

I would definite recommend converting into a fuge. Do you have baffles set up yet? I also don't see why can't put crushed coral in refuge. Or in a canister filter if you have one.

My sump is readu to go fuge, just needs a light and algae. It isnt very large though. Was thinking about getting more pumps and a tank for one but i have almost no room. I have no carpentry skills so i was talking to my dad about building me one since he fixed the table i built that the tank is currently resting on. But this way i could have the specs i want for my sump, a fuge, an ato...whatever my heart desires...i want it as big as a desk lol.

What Are the Benefits of Crushed Coral? | eHow.com

Have you tried adding crushed coral to the filter to raise the ph?
Without even reading that article, I'm sure it pertains to freshwater. Crushed coral has zero buffering affect in a saltwater system. In order for the crushed coral to start dissolving and add any buffer to the system, the water must be around 7.3 pH or lower. That is virtually impossible in a saltwater system.

So any suggestions? I've been reading heavily into kalkwasser and depending on what my test shows when I get home will start to create a plan of action on if i need it, a ph pen...so on.

Back
Top Bottom