True Percula VS Ocellaris

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arget

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'll be converting a 20g to saltwater by next summer. I've got it all planned out. It'll be clownfish. I've never had any saltwater fish, and clownfish seem to be the best option for getting my feet wet. Which is better for a beginner to saltwater? I've read that the True Percula is smaller, but other places I've read a pair would be to much for a 20g. From the same site, the Ocellaris would need to be a pair for a 20g. My LFS can get both in, and when I asked they'd mentioned being able to get in varieties that I've never heard of. I'm not gong to get any fancy ones, not worth it if something goes wrong during the learning process. I'd prefer a regular or misbar, the tank is planned to have black sand and white rock. What are the differences in personality? I've read that the true Percula is more aggressive, and the Ocellaris is more curious.

Ocellaris definitely stay smaller than perculas. I’ve seen some mondo perculas in my day lol. I’d go with an ocellaris pair in a 20 as they tend to be smaller. As far as aggression goes clowns are mostly only aggressive towards their own kind. With that said get two that are the same size. One will become dominant, turn female and get about 3x bigger than the other one which will stay male. Then the female will be in charge and show some aggression towards the smaller which is normal. I also like the look of ocellaris clowns better imo. Clownfish variations are great but yes they can get $$$.

Most stores carry primarily the ocellaris, they are less expensive, I've heard less aggressive, hardier and easier to breed in captivity. I've only kept ocellaris. They are fun, cute little guys. 2 should be fine in a 20 gallon.

What is your plan for filtration? Fowlr or Reef?

Also, I highly recommend rodi water and a ato (auto topoff) I didn't have one for the first year but it makes life much easier.

Here's my 40 gallon mixed reef, I'm planning to move some stuff around and turn my 125 g over to saltwater this winter.Image%20(4).jpg

It's a 20g. It currently has a fluval 107 canister, and I plan on it being Fowlr. At least to begin with. If things work out okay I might think about getting a Xenia for them, but that'd only be when I've worked out all of the kinks and I can be confident that I can properly care for it. The last time I was in my LFS they had two little clownfish, and the cuter one was a Misbar. Most likely they were Ocellaris.

Back
Top Bottom