Trying to start 30g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

litlebigbrother

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm in the process of rounding up everything I need to start my tank. I've got my tank and stand and filter. I'm still waiting on the heater and lights to arrive in the mail. Luckily I'm moving in a week so I have a little time to plan. My first question is what kind of sand/gravel do I need? I've seen fine sand and crushed shells and didn't know the pros and cons or if I need to mix? I have lots of questions but will try one at a time. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi there
And welcome to the AA [emoji846]
Personally I would go with a medium grain sand I find if you go to fine it blows all over the place too easy,

there are a few fish that like to bury their self when They go to sleep or get scared like Wrasse so if you decide to get any of these type of fish it's best to stay away from the bigger grind sand as it is too rough for them in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, welcome to the forum :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras , red longfin bristlenose, bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.
7 gallon halfmoon betta and red ramshorn.

Thanks Mr.tap. is there a certain pound per gallon or do you go by inches off bottom? And I couldn't figure out how to edit but my tank is 20 gallons not 30.

Thanks Mr.tap. is there a certain pound per gallon or do you go by inches off bottom? And I couldn't figure out how to edit but my tank is 20 gallons not 30.

No you don't go by the gallon you go by the length and the width of your tank, and if you do
buy any wrasse you need at least 2-3 inches deep but if you don't you only need as little as 1 inch or even less it's entirely up to you.

Does wanting to put coral in my tank effect that or just the water parameters

Sorry kinda squashed two questions together. Does the amount of sand effect how well corals will do? Or for coral does the water and light just have to be right?

It's to do with the water being staple in its chemistry and to do with the light intensity and the length of time, of the lights being on.

Ok so when I start my tank do I have to only put sand and water in or can I also put my base rock in? Again sorry I have a million questions.

You should put everything in at once if you can,

Can you tell me what type of rock have you got, do you know you have to cycle your tank, have you bought any test kits yet if so what type, and what type of filter have you got.

I have a national geographic canister filter rated for 30 gallon tanks. I have the API saltwater test kit. The rock I have used to be live rock but I've had it for ten years so I'm assuming it is only good for base rock. I know I have to cycle thats why I was wondering if I could put in the rock at start up or wait for the cycle. I'll be putting an extra ten pounds of live rock in whenever its safe. I also have a coralife t5 dual fixture light for the tank

Yes I would put all The rock in together and start your cycle also make sure your SG is correct and you have the right temperature also can add more rock as you go if you require.
Also if you can The best advice I was ever given was to read up as much as possible on how to start up your system this will benefit you in the long run and help you have a better understanding.

Ok I will. Hopefully I will be starting tank next weekend so I will post some pictures

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom