Turning my 65gal fresh to salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sammie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I am new to the salt hobby, unfortunately i do not have any close local pet stores that are reputable. I have a few questions and was hoping someone could answer them for me.

So far I have:

65 Gal 36x18x24
I have put 3, 20 lb bags of ARAG-ALIVE Bahama OOlite Sand
I have 30 Lbs of poor live rock (that I bought from a pet-store 2 hours away) as far as I can tell I have been fleeced because, there are no signs of life other than what I have identified as Aptasia. I have been stabbing it with a syringe and lemon juice and so far it doesn't seem to want to die.
I also have 20 lbs of base rock.
I have 2 marine-land 350 bio wheel penguin filters
I have a 100 gal protein skimmer
Heater 150w
1 Aqueon 950 power head
I also purchased an RO-DI unit.
I have Seachem phosphate guard in one filter and one Seachem Purigen in the other. Should I be running something more?

It has been running for about 7 days and so far, no ammonia spike and all other water parameters are good. I have been putting Seachem Stability everyday. I'm guessing the cycle has not started yet?

So my questions are:

Any recommendations on where to buy Live rock online?

I know I need a better power head(s) any recommendations? I was looking at a Hydor Koralia Evolution Aquarium Circulation Pump 1050-1150. Should i get 2?

Lighting, I know id like to do a mixed reef. I was looking into getting a Current USAMarine Pro. Im not sure if you all have a better suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hydors are fine. You'll want about 20-30x turnover in the tank. I'd do one on each side. As far as live rock I'd just get more base rock it all becomes live eventually. I started my 20 with straight base rock and it now has worms and pods everywhere from corals I've added and such.

I'd skip the current lighting as it may be a bit weak. Look into the eBay 120watt panels. They tend to be around $100 and will grow anything.

I started my 75 with nothing but base rock, it's fine and cheaper. The 120 watt panels are bomb, I have two and they are incredible, will grow everything.

I wouldn't say you were taken advantage of with the live rock. All live really means is that it has come from a cycled system and would have beneficial bacteria on it and could skip time in the cycling of the system.
Hold off on adding any media for phosphates and the like. You don't know if you'll even need it.
Have you put an ammonia source into the system? You won't see ammonia spike without it.

Back
Top Bottom