Types of sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr_girlfriend

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been trying to find a good substrate for my 72 gallon. I wanted to use part sand from the ocean and part packaged sand.
Now I know this is a dumb question, but when you vinegar test sand should it be dry? I poured some on some ocean sand and it did nothing, but the sand was wet.
So if it turns out my free sand is inert, would it be alright to mix with some calcite or aragonite sand?
I'm trying to cut costs where I can, I'm concurrently setting up a 90 gallon high tech planted and a 72 salt....ouch :)
Also, does anyone know how many punds of sand I would need for a 72 bow?
TIA

I have 1 lb per gal in my 125 and I like the look.. It is really your choice on how you want the tank to look. Some like a DSB 5"++, Some like the shallow SB and others like bare bottom.
I have the sand high enough to be just over the bottom plastic tank support. This way I don't see the dark areas in the sand..

I was thinking around 2-3 inches. I would like jawfish, but dont want a 5" bed, oh well. I was just wondering if anyone had already figured out how much for a bow since standard calculators dont do bow shaped.

I would advise against using sand from the ocean. If you get it close to the shore you`ll most likely add pollutants from the shoreline to your tank ( very risky ). To get clean sand you`ll have to know a deep sea diver. Just my opinion. :?

i think a way to calculate is measure a square, and then measure how far the bow goes out. then you take that measurement and get like 1/2 or 3/4 or something. or you do like 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 of the rectangle. at least i think that should work, somewhat

Back
Top Bottom