Un5tab1e's first reef adventure.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow those rocks are REALLY live! Lots of good stuff on them:) where did you get it from?
I'd suggest maybe putting both the rocks on the ends down flat, and then putting the middle rock leaning up against one of them, and then the little rock on top of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I got the rock from gulfliverock.com. I didn't order from the site though. I found one of they're eBay auctions for 35 pounds shipped. Think it was around 160.00. Everything in starting to die off though. All the clams have passed an most plant life is turning brown. I haven't seen a live bristle worm since the night I put it all in the tank.

I got the rock from gulfliverock.com. I didn't order from the site though. I found one of they're eBay auctions for 35 pounds shipped. Think it was around 160.00. Everything in starting to die off though. All the clams have passed an most plant life is turning brown. I haven't seen a live bristle worm since the night I put it all in the tank.
The ammonia is probably killing them off if I were to guess.

Should I remove the dead stuff or let it decay? Ammonia is around 3ppm atm.

Sent from my One M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I did similar with some of my live rock and regret not scrubbing the stuff off completely. I'd make all the dying algae and everything vanish with a good scrub.

After I get it cycled I will probably try and scrub it good. My clams started moving again so at least they aren't dead. I'm going to try a red light later and see if I can catch anything else moving around.

I bought a Marineland 1200 maxi-jet for 20 bucks at petco. I figured it would work until I got my powerheads in the mail. It's so loud though. I don't think I can stand it much longer.

Did a water test last night. Things seem to be moving along nicely. Ammonia was around 7ppm nitrite was 5ppm and nitrates where around 10ppm. The power head has ran all night and the water is clearing up a lot.

Has the maxijet quieted down any? Might need to take it apart and put it back together.

It has but, I changed to the impeller. When I put the cage and propeller on is when I'm having issues. I'm going to try the super glue and propeller shaving mods later... This is how is running now.

Attachments

• 1409495397412.jpg
    1409495397412.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 147
It has but, I changed to the impeller. When I put the cage and propeller on is when I'm having issues. I'm going to try the super glue and propeller shaving mods later... This is how is running now.

Are you still going to run it when your other wavemakers come? If not, I wouldn't worry about modding it.

I'll probably put it up for a spare or if I ever decide to run a sump I can use it for return.

Thanks for the advice. My lighting and wavemakers are scheduled to be here Thursday. I checked ammonia this morning and it's starting to come down. Hopefully Thursday I'll be ready for a nice wc and clean up of the debris that has came off my live rock.

That's the only way I found that they worked in my experience too. Still hated that thing though.

Can someone I'd the white film on some of my rock? .... Also the small red balls are they algae or a type sponge?

Attachments

• 1409590532181.jpg
    1409590532181.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 146
  • 1409590542896.jpg
    1409590542896.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 171
  • 1409590554071.jpg
    1409590554071.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 130
Sorry my water is still cloudy and I wish I had a better camera. I've noticed more life this morning. The white film is almost spiderweb like. Very thin and moves with the flow.

I read a little on those. Didn't know if the Web from one would be so concentrated on one area or not. Thanks for looking.

I do have at least one of those snails though. I found it with a red light yesterday.

Here's a better pic... It has a fungus look. Little hairs that move in the current.

Attachments

• 1409605886121.jpg
    1409605886121.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 141
Back
Top Bottom