under gravel filters? whats the problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't worry about it. No need to apologize for trying to educate yourself. The UGF debate will continue long after this thread is done (or locked :roll: ) I tend ot judge things according to usefullness. For me, an UGF serves no purpose. I have a good skimmer, plenty of LR and a DSB to take care of my filtering needs. Now mind you, an UGF would not hurt my system if it where in place, it just would not help. Therefore, to me, it is not needed. If you decide to run an UGF, I am sure things will be just fine. However, there are things out there now that do the same thing only UGF did several years ago. Whatever you decide, be educated and make sure you have fun doing it. Screw everything else :D Lando

Point and case is this person said themselves that they were just getting more confused. So the best thing to do is (do what you want) you'll end up doing it anyway. And the fact that he/she was so argumenative in the first 3 pages goes to show that there hell bent on the UGF anyway!! So i say use the darn thing and if something goes wrong then change to something eles. And your right Lando he/she does not have to apologize they can post what ever they want thats why this is a forum...Right?? 8)

how do you use a undergravel filter for a marine tank?My complete aquarium book said to put a small layer of coral chips to prevent the sand from going through.

-amphibianboy528

You have to use substrate larger than sand, it is afterall an under "gravel" filter. Smaller particles will just drop through the slits in the filter. I think even with chips between the filter and the sand, it will end up sifting through to the bottom of the tank eventually. I think CC is generally used in this application.

I've been a firm believer in UGFs for a long time now. My personal experience has always been great with them... as long as I do frequent water changes and gravel vacs. Recently I was performing a gravel vac and I noticed TONS of waste buildup in the bottom, something I haven't seen in my history of using a UGF. I thought about why this happened and came to this conclusion: For one part, I was past schedule on the gravel vac, just my stupidity and sorriness, but the biggest reason, I do believe, is the fact that the fish I keep are now getting very large and are horribly messy when they eat. I think a UGF works fine on a small scale aquarium with small species of fish, but once you keep a larger tank, with much larger fish, they become a problem. The amount of waste these fish produce is very hard to keep up with, no matter what sort of filtration or combination of filtrations.

I still like the thoughts of a UGF, but do not plan on using another one unless it's on a very small tank. The next tank I build is going to be a sand bottom with some snails to keep it stirred up. Between the snails and my Oscars, I don't foresee a problem.

As for the whole UGF controversy, I do think it's personal preference and experience. I've posted here before about how much I like them, but after my last cleaning, honestly I was scared. I'm very surprised my fish didn't die! Again, I'd probably run a UGF on a small scale system, but never on a large tank with a large breed fish.

I really do believe now after much thought, consideration, and research, a sand bed is the way to go no matter what type of tank you have. Whether it is a salt tank or fresh tank, there is much more area for bacteria to thrive and if you have the right critters introduced to the system, there is no reason to worry about your sandbed going bad.

Just my 2 cent...

Back
Top Bottom