I'm very excited to upgrade to a 75 g tank. Here is the plan; I'm renovating my basement to an L-shaped recreation room, and the tank is going to be built-in in the wall at the corner, so I will have a short side and a long side showing, and this is why I had to have it custom drilled on the right side of the tank.
I'm also planning to have a 40g or so sump tank, but will start with a rubbermaid plastic one until I find a good deal.
I bought 2 X 165w tao leds dimmable from ebay, and a good 800gph return pump. I also have an R/O water system that gives me 004 ppm
on the TDS
after replacing the membrane and the filters.
I need help with the following questions:
1. What skimmer or category of skimmers should I look for? (I prefer in sump, for the space)
2. Do I need calcium or carbon reactors? or should I dose? LFS
dealer said the reactors are inconsistent.
3. I have about 25 Lbs of live rocks on the old tank, but had always few aptaseas and green algae, can I still use them to cycle my new tank?
4. Overflow holes were drilled at the bottom which will give hard time trying to construct the stand with 2X4s, any ideas? I was planning to make the stand as a part of the wall structure so they would give each other more support.
5. In my biocube I have a pair of clowns, one ocillaris and one black, a royal gramma, and a pair of watchman goby with a pistol tiger shrimp. the pistol shrimp has killed all other shrimps that I had in the past, so I might throw in a few peppermints to establish during the cycling before I add the pistol. any ideas? I also want to add 2 - 3 different tangs, and a mandarine goby.
6. I was thinking of building a water filtering/mixing station with 2 big plastic barrels, I need help to design and plumb with an ATO.
Thanks in advance for your time and information to be shared, I will eventually share some photos for the final product.