Upgrading tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nanofowlrboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! So I’ve been doing saltwater for about a year now and I was wanting to upgrade my tank size from a 6 gallon to a 10 gallon (I know not that much difference) because my 6G is an aqueon ascent and it is an very inconvenient tank with its shape and no rim.

I have 3 corals in my current tank (Ricordia Mushroom, Xenia, and Green Star Polyps) and I want to SAFELY transfer them to the new system.

I am only wanting to do ONLY corals in this upgrade so all I am running on it will be a protein skimmer and power-heads.

So if I buy new live sand (Natures Ocean Aragonite 10lbs), use the same live rock from my last tank, and half the water from my last tank, use (Imagitarium) natural ocean water to fill it up. How long will I have to wait to put my current corals in the new setup?
My old setup is about a year old. Also I would put the same power-heads and heater into the new tank.
Also I won’t add any new live rock and would rinsing the sand with the natural seawater help it cycle faster? Thank You!

IMG_2047.jpgIMG_2048.jpgIMG_2049.jpgIMG_2050.jpg
So here is the tank a few days after the upgrade I went with black aragonite for the sand. My Xenia and GSP are doing great and already spreading again. I have a question about my Ricordia Florida Mushroom. Does it look normal or is it in too much light or too little. It is in medium-low flow where it is. It’s polyps are a lot smaller than when I got it, but the body size is the same. Here is a picture from when it was first in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom